Re: How To Calculate Ferrite Loopstick Inductance Values for Ultralites?

jerry_popiel

Thanks a lot for the replies Micheal and Paul S, you guys are certainly knowledegeable in this field.

More Data Re the Longwire Trap:
Michael, another thing I am noticing is that the first Variable Capacitor that is in series with the first Loopstick for the Longwire Trap doesn't work as well unless the Earth Ground is connected  - which I use for Beacons.

The second  Coupling Loopstick is 5.5 inches long and couples to the Pl 380 or G3 radios.  I threw this Ferrite Loopstick together likely 10 years ago and near as I can tell I wound it with approx 80 turns of Litz wire, but I can't remember if I ever used it for MW reception.  The reason I ask is that radio stations from 530 kHz up to 990 kHz are really coming in well, but above 1000 kHz I don't seem to be pulling in as many stations as on the Lower End, and I wondered if I wound the 2nd coil as per Proper Specifications?  Its also unfortunate that the extended Broadcast Band range is NOT on the Tecsun PL 380 up to 1705 kHz as it is on the Grundig G3 - I think it cuts off at 1610 kHz on the PL 380.

Michael the Longwire Trap itself is extremely sensitive during the day but especially at late night and 6:00 AM and forward, with at times 2 Stations at the same Frequency location, but Rotating the Radio and tuning the 2nd Capacitor helps a great deal. I have no complaints for receiving Beacons, they are right across the Dial and there are plenty of them, & the Volume Increase of the Beacons with adjusting the 2 Capacitors is unbelievable.   Michael your Longwire Trap design continues to astonish me with the improvement on MW and LW off of the Longwire Antenna, - I'm just trying to determine if that 2nd Loopstick is okay for the higher End of the Broadcast Band, or if that's just the way it is re propagation.

Thanks

Jerry