Re: which one is ultralight

Gary DeBock

Hello Rick (and all),

I take full responsibility for causing the price of the Sony SRF-T615
to rocket into the stratosphere!

At the beginning of the ULR boom (January 2008) I ordered the radio for
$92 from Audio Cubes, to test it out in the 2008 Ultralight Radio
Spring Shootout review. It pretty much blew away all of the
competition, and without even considering the market consequences, I
gave it the rave reviews I felt it deserved. At that time interest in
Ultralight radios was exploding with nuclear force, and the Spring
Shootout review was a hot article.

Within a month the SRF-T615 ordering stampede was so huge that Audio
Cubes was not only out of stock, but taking over a month to process
orders. It seemed that everyone wanted their own model as an Ultralight
status symbol-- everyone except Rob and me, that is--- who needed two
or more of them! People began to panic when their SRF-T615 orders were
delayed, resulting in even more odering hysteria. As such, Audio Cubes
just about doubled the price for North American purchasers within a
couple of months.

I learned a pretty severe lesson from that fiasco-- be careful what you
say in radio reviews (at least until you forewarn your friends about an
upcoming price explosion, and give them the chance to buy at cheap
rates :-)

73, Gary DeBock