Re: which one is ultralight

robert ross

On 27/07/2011 5:57 PM, Rick Robinson wrote:

In my opinion the standards of the ULR list regarding what is and what
isn't an ultralight radio are quite arbitrary

 It costs less than $100 which
qualifies it as a ULR according to list guidelines, while a Sony T615 is
$145 on ebay which should disqualify it but doesn't in the eyes of some
ULR members. Go figure...

Rick W4DST

Hello Rick:

  The Reason the Sony T-615 qualifies as an ULR even though it costs more than $100.00 is because the "Original Price" of the T-615 when it was introduced to the Market was about $89.00 USA Dollars. The ULR Guidelines regarding PRICE state that the Radio must be Under $100.00 when "Introduced" to the Market.

The Price of the T-615 remained well under $100.00 until a bunch of us realized just how good the radio was and Gary DeBock praised it's merits. A PILE of people started buying up the T-615's and of course the sellers realized there was Money to be made........and they raised the Prices!!

So..the T-615 meets ALL of the Criteria for being a ULR...including that of price!!! Not only in the eyes of "Some" ULR members but as as set out in the Criteria!!

You may feel that the Criteria for being a ULR is "quite arbitrary"........but a lot of thought and deliberation went into the "Criteria" by the founding members Gary DeBock and John Bryant...along with a lot of input from other early members of the group!! It may not be perfect....but it's served our purposes quite well......

If we were to allow Radios that did not meet the Criteria for whatever reason..the Ultralight Group would lose its mandate and would pretty soon be just a group of PORTABLE USERS/DXers.

Of course any Dxer can use Any Radio to DX with and have lots of Fun!! You can even Report the Loggings to the group...we don't have a problem with that. However....if you wish to participate in the ULR AWARDS PROGRAM...you need to use a Qualified ULR....as set out in the criteria!!

Many have challenged some of the aspects of the Criteria...but after careful consideration......the Original Criteria always stands the test of time!!

Have Fun with ULR Radios........and Good DX.

Robert S. Ross VA3SW ( For the ULR AWARDS COMMITTEE)
London, Ontario CANADA