From: "farmerik"

Subject: Off the shelf amplified antennas for LW and AM BCB?

I heartily agree about the rewards of DIY, but am no longer young and able to do either heavy or
fine work. I have already done a huge amount of DIY, and truly miss it.

Your excellent summary describes my antenna experiments very well. I will try most anything with
what I have here, and I am always eager to learn, but don't plan serious study of radio theory,
without good use of my eyes.

For under $200, I was not expecting a DXers dream antenna, just looking for a boost for my many
portables at remote locations.

Thanks for your replies. - FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Michael" <michael.setaazul@...> wrote:

The various external ferrites for uldx receivers described on this
site are by far the best compact solution.

The varactor automatic tuning capacitor in the DSP chip and the
tuning capacitor of an externally tuned antennas can counteract each other.
This may be reduced by spacing the external tuned ferrite further away,
and moving it back and forth whilst optimising manual tuning. When the
externally tuned ferrite no longer "swamps" the internal varactor, a dual-tuned
input filter results, which can be effective. But adjustment can be fiddly.

Also, the chip varactor may not accommodate an out-of-range external inductor
which is directly connected to the receiver PCB. In some receivers, adjusting
the inductance (number of turns) of the external antenna can rectify this.
See the many postings re these external antennas.

The SONY-style short whip with pre-amp will work well on shortwave and
satisfactorily on MW and LW, but should be located outside to minimise RFI.
As always, efficient feeding of the signal into the receiver is critical for good results.

Where possible, the DIY approach is far cheaper - and eventually contentment
swamps any frustrations on the way !

Michael UK