Re: Nobody here has an Alinco DX-R8 they use as a spotter???

Rik

Thanks Guys! - FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "jnfritz07" <jnfritz07@...> wrote:

Farmerik and Rick,

Rick is correct. The Alinco DX-R8T is a very new product and not from one of the big three. Therefore it is not easy to find information on the unit. I even had a bit of trouble locating an authorized dealer who had one in stock. I finally purchased a DX-R8T from R&L Electronics in Hamilton, Ohio. It ships out tomorrow (Monday) so I may have it by this Wednesday.

Fortunately, there are a few early reviews of the DX-R8T on the Net. For example, eHam has several strong user reviews <http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/9601>. The Ontario DX Association has an excellent, detailed review <http://www.odxa.on.ca/DXR8T.pdf>. And Nevada Radio has released a short YouTube video on the receiver.

I like the size (smallish) the flexibility (SDR or traditional radio) the quality and, of course, the price. While manufacturers like Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu seem to be moving away from offering general coverage HF communications receivers, I found it refreshing that Alinco has turned the tables by releasing a brand new HF radio. And one that appears well thought out, well designed and well engineered. Plus they offer free third party cloning and SDR software to boot. It's an offer that I simply couldn't refuse.

Whether the performance of the DX-R8T matches the reviews and specs or not is something that I will no doubt find out later in the week.

73,

Jeff WB1AAL