Re: Strange problem with PL-380

Gary Kinsman

Hi Ginger,

The problem happens only with the clip-on antenna, and only on shortwave.

I tried using a stereo to mono adapter (stereo on the headphone side, mono on the radio side), but this made no difference.

Regards,
Gary

--- In ultralightdx@..., "ginger_92@..." <ginger_92@...> wrote:

Hmmm, does it only happen with the clip on antenna, only shortwave, I had a 1102 that did a lot of what your describing and finally found out if I used a 3.5mm mono adapter with the stereo earphones it worked fine, have no idea why though. It did that on AM also, I was using a Kaito KA-31 loop plugged into the radio though. If I unplugged the loop antenna, stereo earphones would then work fine. Since your not "plugging in" an antenna, it seems kinda weird. I'd like to know also.

Ginger OKC

--- In ultralightdx@..., "gkinsman1" <gkinsman@> wrote:

Hello all,

I like listen to shortwave with my PL-380. I find that clipping the Sony wind-up antenna (that came with my 7600GR) to the PL-380 whip produces much more signal strength, and allows ETM to find many more stations.

This works fine when listening though the speaker, but when I listen through headphones, almost all of the signal is canceled out, and mostly what I hear is noise. It seems like the headphone cable is acting like an out of phase antenna, and canceling out the desired signal. I tried three sets of headphones with similar results. This even happens with earbuds that have only a three foot cord, but to a lesser extent.

Does anybody have an idea what is going on and why? What is the solution? Would an audio isolator (normally used for ground loops) help?

Thanks,
Gary