First Anniversary of Ultralight Radio Boom

John Cereghin <jcereghin@...>

I have to agree with these posts. Not everyone can afford a thousand
dollar boat anchor or put out a beverage and many of us don't have the
technical know-how to construct a EWE. But anyone can buy a $15-$75
ultralight and start DXing. And I think UL DXing taxes your skills
more than "standard" DXing. It's one thing for me to get France or
England on my FRG-7 with a 200-foot longwire. It's quite something
else to do it on a SFR-59 barefoot, while in my easy chair.

I've really been serious about UL DXing since July of this year and
have managed to hear 411 stations, 32 states and 12 countries on my
various UL radios. That is no small feat in itself.

I consider barefoot UL DXing as "minimalist DXing." Nothing against
using mega loopsticks and hooking up your UL to a beverage, but there
is something to be said for barefoot UL DXing, the ultimate challenge
in my opinion. What can you accomplish with a 1.5-inch ferrite bar
and a stock UL?

Onward and upward!

John Cereghin
Smyrna DE