Re: First Anniversary of Ultralight Radio Boom-- November 20

Carl DeWhitt

--- I forgot to mention that i first read about the ULR movement
through the article that Popular Communications did on it back in
April(i think) of this year.I had not heard of it previously.I read
where John Bryant was involved and since i knew John and had met him
a time or two before,i went and bought one of the ULRs mentioned -the
Sony SRF -M37V.I have since bought the M37W version and the Sony SRF-
59 as well as the Eton E-100.I contacted a mutual friend of John,s
and mine,Kirk Allen,who lived in the same city as me,Ponca City,Ok,at
the time.John had told Kirk about ULRs and had given him a SRF-59.I
called John on the phone and we talked about the ULR movement just
before he left for Orcas Island,Wa.John recommened the E-100 to me as
well as Kirk.Kirk and i both ordered an E-100 from Durham Radio
within days of each other.And the rest they say is history:) hi!hi!
Carl DeWhitt
Walland,Tn.

In ultralightdx@..., "Carl DeWhitt" <carl_elissa@...>
wrote:

---Happy 1st anniversary to all in the ultralight movement.I can
say
with many others for sure,that this is the most amazing niche of
the
hobby that i have ever been involved in.The fact that anyone can
receive TA and/or TP dx on a little pocket radio is amazing!Who
would
have thought this movement would have accomplished this much and
come
this far in just a short year.Just like it has with others on the
group,it has reawakened my interest in mw dxing.Thanks to
Gary ,Rob,John and all others who really contributed early on to
this
movement.73 and good dx and good luck for the next year of ULR
enjoyment.
Carl DeWhitt
Walland,Tn.

In ultralightdx@..., Robert Ross <va3sw@> wrote:

At 08:24 PM 11/18/2008, Gary Debock wrote:

Hello Guys,

With the Ultralight radio niche hobby now being enjoyed
throughout
North America, Europe and many other areas of the world, some
enthusiasts
may be curious how this whole craziness started. It actually
started on
November 20, 2007 with some startling TP receptions on a humble
SRF-59,
but was fueled by some amazing coincidences that gave the
movement a
massive surge within just a month.

Happy 1st Anniversary/Birthday to the ULR Movement!!! Being one
of
the
Canadians who benefited from Gary's generosity last
December......I
am
happy and proud to have been able to see the growth of the
subculture over
this past year!! I don't think anyone...including Gary could have
ever
imagined where this would be 1 Year later. As a matter of
fact....I
doubt
anyone really gave it much thought at the beginning. It was just
something
that happened ...and as it progressed it opened a lot of eyes.
The real bonus of this Ultralight growth, is that it
brought
a lot
of Old Timers outta the woodwork and Re-exposed them to the FUN
they had
when they began BCB DXing years ago , many as Kids I reckon!!

So........Gary even though you had no idea where we were
going.....you had
enough insight to take us there!! Thanks for that...and Happy
Birthday to
everyone on the ULR Reflector....may our 2nd year be as much fun
as
the
first. I can only imagine where the ULR Hobby will be at the end
of
2009.......

A good show by all......and thanks for letting me be a part of it
all!!

73...ROB.

Robert S. Ross VA3SW
Box 1003, Stn. B.
London, Ontario
CANADA N6A5K1

Antique/Vintage Radio Enthusiast
Amateur Radio Stations VA3SW/VE3JFC
Enjoy Ultralight Radio DXing......It's like being a KID again!!

Defy Physics.....Play Table Tennis!! (Ping Pong with an Attitude)