Re: Retread

Albert

Welcome Bear, Have been to Maui twice in the last couple of years. Cant wait to get back and do a little ULDXing there.

Big Al N0CEK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "qrpbear" <qrpbear@...> wrote:

I'm one of those old geezers that used to DX the AM broadcast band with an All American 5 back in my high school days in the late 50's. Reading about the results you guys have been having with these new radios whet my curiousity. Today I bought an SRF59 on closeout at a local drugstore along with a pack of batteries. Tried it out walking home and must say I was blown away by it. I have never heard an AM radio of its size with that much sheer performance. I cannot abide that dinky tuning knob and impossible to read dial so mine will be installed in a cigar box and outfitted with a fancy Pilot vernier dial. For any serious DX'ing I will have to take it on Safari to a nearby park. There is entirely too much signal loss and anthropomorphic noise in my concrete and steel building.

It will be very interesting to see what stations I can pick up here in Honolulu where everyone but locals are at least 2500 miles away!

73 es DX,

'Bear' NH7SR