Re: Retread

robert ross

On 19/05/2011 6:39 PM, qrpbear wrote:

I'm one of those old geezers that used to DX the AM broadcast band with an All American 5 back in my high school days in the late 50's. Reading about the results you guys have been having with these new radios whet my curiousity. Today I bought an SRF59 on closeout at a local drugstore along with a pack of batteries. Tried it out walking home and must say I was blown away by it. I have never heard an AM radio of its size with that much sheer performance. I cannot abide that dinky tuning knob and impossible to read dial so mine will be installed in a cigar box and outfitted with a fancy Pilot vernier dial. For any serious DX'ing I will have to take it on Safari to a nearby park. There is entirely too much signal loss and anthropomorphic noise in my concrete and steel building.

It will be very interesting to see what stations I can pick up here in Honolulu where everyone but locals are at least 2500 miles away!

73 es DX,

'Bear' NH7SR

Hello Bear:

    Welcome to the ULR Group!!! You may very well be our first member from HAWAII!!! You are in an IDEAL SPOT to hear a lot of Wild DX from all directions!!! You will be happy with the SRF-59...it is an amazing little DX Magnet. It's the Radio I started ULR DXing with in JAN 2008. I have now switched over to mainly using an SRF-T615 (Have 3 of these little Buggers)!!! I logged over 300 Stations in the first 30 Days of ULR DXing...using the SRF-59. After 3 Years I am sitting at 929 Stations heard on a ULR!! So..the sky is the limit.....as long as you devote time and effort to DXing with ULRs. Many of the list members have proven that distances of 5000 Miles Plus are VERY POSSIBLE with ULRs...and your location with WATER EVERYWHERE...should prove interesting!!

Let us know what you hear...we can hardly wait!!!

Have Fun with the ULRs.....and again, welcome to the Group!!!

73......ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross        (For the ULR AWARDS Committee)
London, Ontario CANADA