ULR DX.......LONGWAVE .....4 New Stations...2 NEW COUNTRIES from AFRICA!!!!!

robert ross

Hi Guys:

After reading all of Allen Willie's great Trans-Atlantic Reports from his new home on the East Coast of Newfoundland, I wondered how the Longwave Band was doing last night?? The past few weeks have seen Loud Noise, QRN from Static Crashes and virtually nothing heard on the Longwave Band. I expected last night to be the same. I tuned in at about 0400 UTC and was pleasantly surprised to hear VERY QUIET Conditions with lots of Beacons being heard.....and Solid AUDIO on Several Longwave Broadcast Frequencies!! Oh Lucky Day!!! Turns out I had a Great Longwave opening to NORTHERN AFRICA and ended up logging 4 New Stations and 2 NEW COUNTRIES on LONGWAVE....MOROCCO and ALGERIA!!! Sure wasn't expecting this!!!! The signals out of these 2 countries were the STRONGEST Longwave Broadcast Signals I have heard to date on the Longwave Band (With a ULR RADIO!!) At times they were approaching GOOD Quality!! Of course I don't speak much French...and my Arabic is somewhat WORSE.....but I could clearly make out what was being said.......albeit not in English!! I was able to Parallel some of these with LIVE WEBFEEDS to confirm what I was hearing as well!!

Last night`s new ones brings my ULR LONGWAVE COUNTRY COUNT up to 11 Countries heard now!!

RADIO USED..................TECSUN PL-380 with Gary DeBock LONGWAVE Ferrite Rod

ULR TOTALS are now......................................113 Stations Heard

73.............ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

171 RADIO MEDI UN (Medi 1) Nador, MOROCCO April/30/11 0407 UTC FRENCH/ARABIC FAIR-GOOD
Male with FRENCH Talk at Tune In 0407 UTC. Into Female with ARABIC VOCALS and AA String Music 0408-11 UTC.
Male with FF Talks again @ 0411 UTC. More Arabic String and Percusion Music @ 0411 to 0432 UTC.
Male with FF Talks interspersed between Music Selections.
I was able to PARALLEL this with the LIVE WEBFEED for for Radio Medi Un!! Not in sync....Webfeed somewhat behind.
This was still in with a Good Signal as late as 0550 UTC!!!! (Must have been after their Local Sunrise???)
I have heard this Station on SHORTWAVE many Times!!

NEW ULR # 110 NEW ULR B/CAST STN # 5 NEW ULR COUNTRY # 10 NEW ULR CONTINENT # 3 (Africa)

2000 KW
ROSS, ONT.
252 RTA Chaine 3 Tipaza, ALGERIA April/30/11 0435 UTC FRENCH/ARABIC FAIR-GOOD
Male Reading FRENCH NEWS ITEMS @ Tune In 0435 UTC. Another Male and a Female with French News items...
Possible Live Report?? More News items in FRENCH. 2 Males Reading News @ 0446-47 UTC.
ARABIC STRING and PERCUSSION Musical Interlude with Vocals @ 0447-48 UTC. Back to 2 Males with News Items
in FRENCH @ 0448-50.
I was able to PARALLEL this with the LIVE WEBFEED for RTA Chaine 1. Not in Sync....Webfeed was Behind.

NEW ULR # 111 NEW ULR B/CAST STN # 6 NEW ULR COUNTRY # 11

1500 KW
ROSS, ONT.
153 RTA Chaine 1 Bechar, ALGERIA April/30/11 0515 UTC FRENCH/ARABIC POOR
Much weaker than the 2 Stations above!!! Male with FRENCH TALK (News???) @ 0515 UTC Tune In.
News items til 0528 UTC. ARABIC STRING and PERCUSSION Music between Talks.
This was Possibly PARALLEL to 198 KHZ (Berkaoui/Ouargla Transmitter)...but 198 was really Poor Quality...
so I can't be sure!! With the other 2 Algerians in so strong..I highly suspect 198 was Algeria as well!! It sure wasn't
Droitwich England!! I was NOT able to PARALLEL 153 with any LIVE WEBFEEDS.

NEW ULR # 112 NEW ULR B/CAST STN # 7

2000 KW
ROSS, ONT.
198 DIW Dixon, NORTH CAROLINA April/30/11 0530 UTC BEACON VG Signal
DIW in Morse Code No Dash after ID. This beacon was very Strong!! Also had a relog of CLB 216 from
Carolina Beach, Blasting in!! Many More Strong Beacons....especially from the Northwest blasting in!!
Northwestern Ontario and Winnipeg. Also had Charlottetown, PEI "5B"on 254 Khz.

NEW BEACON # 113 2 KW
ROSS, ONT.