Re: Question for the North Americans re SRF-59

Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@...>

Precisely the method I use. I have a Sangean DT200vx which I use for that purpose, as it was very disappointing in the selectivity department.

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NNW of Philadelphia
Grid FN20id

FM: Yamaha T-80 & Onkyo T-450RDS w/ APS9B @15'; Grundig G8
AM:  Modified Sony ICF 2010's barefoot

--- On Sat, 4/23/11, Michael wrote:

Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] Question for the North Americans re SRF-59
To: ultralightdx@...
Date: Saturday, April 23, 2011, 10:13 AM

I bought a couple myself, after having read the reviews. It is an astounding little gem.
I might tinker with the second one :-
- direct or inductively couple a loop or longer ferrite (longwire via a buffer MOSFET or FET to
protect the chip!)
- use the SRF-59 at the top end of the AM band as an IF and AFsection with an external frontend for
LW or SW.
Just a thought...

When using the SRF-59 barefoot for uldx, I use another receiver to identify the frequency.

Michael UK

----- Original Message ----------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 23 April 2011 13:49

I was browsing through the http://www.dxer.ca/ website yesterday afternoon and came across rave
reviews of the Sony SRF-59 Walkman Radio, so I checked on the Internet and discovered that they were
freely available here in the UK. I set off to the local Comet store and found one at £20.
. . .
Now this is more like it. I was truly impressed with this little radio. It seemed as though it was
as sensitive and selective as my faithful G5.
. . . . .
Anyway, I've waffled plenty long enough. Suffice to say, if anybody is thinking of buying one of
these little radios, I can heartily recommend it. I mean come on. for a measly £20, you can't go
wrong. I am now trying to work out a way to increase the reception on AM with a long wire or
something, but I don't know if the headphone socket is connected to the ferrite bar or whether the
headphone socket aerial connection is solely for FM use.

Join main@UltralightDX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.