Tecsun PL-660 antenna question

Jamie Hanrahan

So, I received a PL-660 yesterday. I'm reasonably impressed but I have a question about the antenna.

On my other portable radios with whip antennas, one can pull the antenna straight out from the case for about 3/8" inch, and this allows it to pivot with more freedom than otherwise. The Tecsun does not seem to allow this. The result is that you can't set the antenna anywhere close to vertical if the radio is sitting flat on its back. You can't even get it vertical if the radio is sitting on its flimsy little fold-out stand.

Is this normal for these Tecsuns, or do I just need to pull the antenna harder? :)