Re: Inexpensive source of ferrite for LF FSL

Gary DeBock

Hello Joachim,

Thanks for sharing the results of your first FSL project with us.

Steve and Kevin may have their own comments, but I'll suggest a couple
of tips. For covering the NDB band with an inductively-coupled FSL,
1615 uh may be a little high for coil inductance. 1615 uh is close to
the inductance normally used for a directly-connected LW loopstick
coil, and your FSL's variable capacitor would extend the FSL's longwave
frequency coverage even lower. With your current components, you
probably should be able to cover the entire NDB band with about 1000 uh
of coil inductance.

The only operating suggestion that I could make (after viewing your
photos) is to ensure that the FSL is parallel to the table when you are
using it (and not standing on one end, like in your last photo with
ther variable cap connected). Any FSL standing on one end will not
receive much of anything, although the tuning noise will be there (as
you describe).

73 and Good Luck,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)