Re: Inexpensive source of ferrite for LF FSL

rabej_de <rabej_de@...>

Hi, list!

Yesterday I built my first FSL using a 150 mm dia. Styrofoam former, 23 ferrite bars, 100x20x3, permeability 400, 3 layers of bubble wrap and 55 turns of 100/44 litz wire = 1615 uH.
I connected it to a 3-section 12 - 460 pF var. cap. with 2 sections in parallel.
Pictures of it can be found here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/61090953@N06/sets/72157626359000212/

I only had time to do some qick in-shack tests using my Tecsun PL-380 and I must admit that I am a bit disappointed.
Yes, the noise level increases when the FSL is tuned exactly but I was not able to hear more NDBs than without the FSL.
Maybe this is due to the high noise level indoors with PCs and TVs running etc. - I have to check that.

Any other advise or hint as to what may have gone wrong?

73s

Joachim Rabe

--- In ultralightdx@..., "rabej_de" <rabej_de@...> wrote:

Hi, list!

Found these ferrite rods on eBay : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400137000838&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

They measure 8 x 125 and are said to be 400 permeability.

Ony comments on using them for a LF-FLS?

Thanks very much in advance.

73s

Joachim Rabe