Re: Problem Child Frequencies

Dennis Gibson <wb6tnb@...>

I have problem child frequencies all right. A little over one mile
from here I have three stations using the same tower, which is quite
rare. Fortunately none is more than 1 KW and all are non-directional.
Those frequencies are 1290, 1340 and 1490. The tower is owned by
KIST-1490, known from 1926 until 1990 as KDB (and from 1997 until
October 28, 2008 as KBKO). I have a fairly strong regional on 1450
(KVEN) that I can null a little bit and a not quite as local but still
local on 1250 (KZER) that I can kinda sorta but not exactly null so
that takes care of 1240. So what do I have for graveyard frequencies?
1230 and 1400. However at night the closest station on 1400 (KKZZ;
about 30 miles away) ever so slightly hovers above the jumble. So I
have one out of six graveyarders; 1230.

The only good thing about this is that it's interesting to see how
well my radios handle those three extremely close stations. They're a
pretty good test of dynamic range, selectivity, and nullability (is
that a word?; if it wasn't it is now). The worst is a Superadio III I
bought about five years ago.

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Kirk Allen" <kirk74601@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure most of us have our own "problem children" as far as
specific MW frequencies go. You know, those stubborn channels that
just don't want to give up many loggings at all due to any number of
factors. Lcl splatter, overcrowded freqs, noise from cable TV boxes
and computers, et al. One of the worse ones for me is 1580 khz. We
have a semi-local that bdcsts on 1580 from Blackwell, OK, apx. 20
miles west of here. Tonight KOKB was off the air as well as last
night. I've tried to log other stations on that freq for literally
hours and never had any luck until tonight. I managed to catch a
Radio Disney station that held in long enough to get a handle on who
it was:

1580, KMIK, Tempe, AZ, 0455-0515 UTC, 11/10, Radio Disney pgm'g.
Quick ID 0500 and back to Disney. 50 kw, but you couldn't prove that
in the reception here. Poor.

One other new one here:

1350, KDZA, Pueblo, CO, 0809-0830+ UTC, 11/10, Playing my kind of mx-
oldies R&R from the 70's. Another reason I enjoyed listening to this
one was because they had their OWN lcl pgm'g, not another boring
generic network feed. 280 watts night pwr listed. Reception much
better than the 50 kw AZ station on 1580. Topaz has KDZA's format
listed as sports. Not the case at least during my reception. Fair.

Hope you all have a good week and can find some time to twist the
dials. 73,

Kirk Allen
Ponca City, OK