720 without Greenland

MarkWA1ION

Besides Greenland and WGN, here are some other 720 kHz signals I have heard at various locations in eastern Massachusetts:

VENEZUELA: YVQE, R. Oriente, Porlamar (common)
CANARY ISLANDS: RNE R.5, Finca Espana (// 621)
PORTUGAL: RDP Antena 1 synchros (// 666)
GERMANY: Westdeutscher Rundfunk, Langenberg
BRAZIL: R. Guaiba, ZYK276, Porto Alegre
BRAZIL: R. Clube de Pernambuco, ZYI770, Recife
COLOMBIA: HJAN

At the coastal sites such as Granite Pier, there is nothing to prevent an ultralight from hearing any of these, especially in the early evening before WGN co-channel incursion and adjacent WOR slop / IBOC can build up.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
Billerica, MA + South Yarmouth, MA, USA

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "Allen" <vo1_001_swl@...> wrote:

Hello To All,

Checking 720 khz last evening around sunset it was noticeable that Greenland was missing from the frequency or at least that's what it appeared . Later on , checking the frequency occasionally it seems that maybe they haven't quite pulled the switch on things just yet on AM . The signal reappeared off and on for stretches through the evening.
It could be just a case of final tweaking to get things rolling on their FM feed, perhaps some of our comrades in Europe can shed more light on this for us.

I did manage to log a couple of other stations on that frequency while Greenland was absent or at least not propagating our way.

Logs last night

549-ALGERIA- Alger Chaine 1 , Hamadouche 2:46UT/12 Arabic talk and music (Very Good)
720-CYPRUS-BBC World Service Relay, Ladies Mile 21:55/11 tele-talk about Egypt situation in Arabic , mentions of BBC
720-GERMANY- (tentative )WDR2 – Langenberg 22:14/11 woman with news in German
1020-KDKA-Pittsburgh, PA 2:26/12 "Newsradio 1020-KDKA" ID,talk show(Very Good)
1044-MOROCCO-RTM Sebaa-Aioun 23:54UT/11 Arabic chants,talk
1100-WTAM-Cleveland, Ohio 00:01UT/12 "Newsradio 11-Hundred WTAM" ID,weather
1251-LIBYA-Voice of Africa,Tripoli 23:56UT/11 man in Arabic talk (Good)

1490-WERE-Cleveland Heights,Ohio 00:05UT/11 Newstalk 14-90 ID ment. Ohio
** This one is in the current ULR distance records for both the Grayeyarder barefoot and unlimited categories ***

*** Check over your logs for graveyard stations as you may have a listing that may replace the one above in distance

Receivers: SRF-M37V & SRF-39FP barefoot

Good DX

Allen Willie
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador