Re: A Final Farewell to Greenland on the AM Dial

Tony Ward

Well I logged Greenland on 3815U almost exactly a year ago Rob, and heard it (detected it?) 2 days later again. Threw out about 500' of wire (BOG) to try and log Simuliaq on 720 with WGN phased in recent weeks, but wasn't successful. (I am not a purist, and don't, unfortunately,  live in St John's Newfoundland) My SS Longpath from Whitby ON to Indonesia on 60 and 90 m was better than Dave Clark's but his morning shortpath was much better, though the sites are only about 40 miles apart. I can only throw longwires towards the east from about 345 deg around to 170 deg, but the Wellbrook K9AY helps a lot in Western directions. Detecting the big Asians on MW every morning during season, but not close to audio yet. Much better to Europe than when Dave had the big farm though. I got him a Tecsun 380 via Joyce and have a Terk loop here for him  awaiting his return from wherever he is hibernating for winter (Panama probably) , so he may get active with a ULR someday. John Fisher, Dave C and I did lunch here in December I think it was, and we are all active in our own ways. I am trying not to go over to the Dark Side and get into NDB's but .... If Dave gets back soon we will get in a car and come down and perform an intervention on you! Still a kick after all these years eh!?

Tony (VE3NO) ComputerViz, NYAA Starfest

tonyward@...
http://www.nyaa.ca

Ah Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be ...

To: ultralightdx@...
Cc:
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2011 9:43:28 PM
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] A Final Farewell to Greenland on the AM Dial

On 11/02/2011 9:10 PM, John Cereghin wrote:

I never heard Greenland, either on MW or SW.  I never bagged them from Nova Scotia, either.

:(
 Yes John....A Country we'll never hear on AM. However.....I did Log Greenland back in the 1980's on SHORTWAVE...........on 3999 Mhz I think it was??? Not sure of the Frequecy without looking it up....I was on a DX-Pedition with the Ontario DX Association at Longford Mills, Ontario.  I may have heard it once at Dave Clark's Antenna Farm  in Newmarket Ontario as well.........Without looking back at the Logbooks...I can't remember (Old Age!!). Dave had a HUGE ANTENNA Farm......Full Sized Dipoles for 120, 90, 60 Meters. Delta Loops for the same Bands and Many Beverage Antennas. Also had MANY Top Notch Receivers of the Day....and all Antennas could be switched to ANY of the Receivers through an elaborate Antenna Switching System. Dave and Cedric Marshall ...also of the ODXA  Constructed this Massive Antenna Farm to DX Indonesian Regionals, and other Exotic DX on the Shortwave Bands!! We heard some amazing stuff up at the Farm!! Man....I miss those Days!! We heard all the Low Power Japanese Regionals, Peruvian Low Powered Statons, Bolivians, Papua New Guinea Regionals, 2 Mhz Australians.......and other cool stuff. We would go up there in the Winter....and the shack was out in the DX Barn behind the house........it was heated...but just barely....with Electric heaters. I can remember Cedric DXing with a Collins R-388 TUBE Receiver, sitting in a Lawn Chair, with his entire Body in a Down Filled Sleeping Bag (And Cedric was about 6 Foot 7 ")!!!...........to keep from Freezing to death.........and Logging Indo Regionals on Grayline DX. Hey Kirk......some of this must be bringing back memories for you...and Guy Atkins too....if you are out there??? John Bryant would have remembered some of the Legendary DX that was logged at Dave Clark's DX ANTENNA FARM!!

Man..........this is getting to me!!! DX Memories I'll never forget!!

73....ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

Join main@UltralightDX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.