From: dhsatyadhana <dhsatyadhana@...>
Subject: [ultralightdx] Re: An even More Monstrous ferrite on the way
To: ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 7:56 PM

Hi Raph:

The 800 mu permeability is still fine for resonating on MW, as far as I can tell. I have been comparing the 800 mu stick to my Q Stick, and the signal gain is substantially leap better on the Monster. The guy at Stormwise mentioned that to get max Q for the upper part of the band, the windings should be spaced out along the ferrite as much as possible: I will likely convert the "little" 18-inch ferrite to MW-only, in which case I can do just that. Both of our MW coils are close-spaced, which minimizes the amount of Litz wire one needs, but apparently Q suffers. So, you might want to try spacing out the coils on yours, using a longer length of Litz?

I am thinking that if I were to take it on a trip and try to carry it onto a plane, I would bring a copy of the construction article to show them what it is. I would have it in a mailing tube, and I would go to the post office at the airport and mail it back to myself rather than have them confiscate it. If I were to check it in a bag, I might use a stand-alone shipping tube of some sort, perhaps one made for a fishing rod, again with a copy of the construction article in there should they decide to check it out. Using a hard-sided suitcase, with the antenna put in diagonally, might also work.

Kevin

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "Pollock,Raphael E" <rpollock@> wrote:

Hi Kevin!
Glad to see you becoming even more addicted to monster ferrites as well! I am wondering how well the 800 mu ferrites will work on MW as compared to the 125 mu--I don't know enough radio electronics to answer my own question. I also wonder about transporting the completed ferrite rod antennas. There is too much effort to make one of these things only to have it confiscated by Homeland Security at the airport, thinking that it might be a pipe bomb or some damn thing. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to take a chance of ferrite breakage by putting it in checked luggage...
Your thoughts, my friend?
Raph