Re: Evaluating my new PL-380

Mr. Reality check <gan5659@...>

--- In ultralightdx@..., "bugout2012" <dford2012@...> wrote:

Well I have had the PL-380 now for two weeks, and would like to say up front that for the price,and size, I am very happy with the PL-380. I love the adjustable bandwidth and the many memories. I was excited about the performance as well. Unfortunately I have a few radios, and comparatively the PL-380 is only an equal in it's performance alongside my Sony 2002 and ICF7600GR. I tried some AM dxing on my big chair, but then compared it to my Boston Acoustic clock radio, and found myself less than enthusiastic. I does do better on AM then my little world 100. For the price, I don't mind throwing it in my backpack as my traveling radio.

Dan
I have had mine for about three months and am pretty satisfied with it. I use it now as my bedside clock radio and night time talk show radio.
I find myself using it more than my CC radio at night I gues because I can hold it and cruise the dial. I decided to check the reception against the much praised Sony SLF59 and started a comparison the other night, so far even though the PL380 gets low marks for MW reception, I have not found anything yet on the SLF59 that I can not get on the PL380. That being said and no s-meter available for the U/L Sony my ear test says the Sony does resolve the signsl better and gives a clearer audio than the PL380. But that in no way says the PL380 is bad as it seems to do better than many other radios on MW. I hear good things about the new PL606 with the same size ferrite antenna as in the 310.