Re: Improving LW

Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@...>

No mod is required ONLY if your receiver has an external antenna jack. If it does not then you have limited choices: 1) modify the radio; 2) resonate the antenna in close physical proximity to the radio's internal antenna to achieve improvement; or 3) ( may work, may not ) try wrapping a few turns of wire around the outside of the radio as if going around the internal antenna, and then connect the external antenna to the wire to achieve an inductive coupling.

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NNW of Philadelphia
Grid FN20id

FM: Yamaha T-80 & Onkyo T-450RDS w/ APS9B @15'; Grundig G8
AM:  Modified Sony ICF 2010's barefoot

--- On Tue, 1/11/11, balise2001 wrote:

Subject: [ultralightdx] Re: Improving LW
To: ultralightdx@...
Date: Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 9:39 AM

Hi Farmerik,

Thanks for your comments.

I may be wrong due to my limited english, but what I understood is that Gary's loopsticks don't need any mod' ONLY when used with a PL-360.

Gary wrote : "Although the 7.5" LW loopsticks were designed for the PL-360 model, they will work with any Tecsun DSP Ultralight radio once the circuitry is modified to accept the loopstick in place of the stock ferrite bar. The PL-310 external antenna connector can be rewired to accomplish this (...)"

Regards,
Patrick, south-east France

--- In ultralightdx@..., "farmerik" wrote:
>
> I have both Gary's LW and MW antennas for the PL-360. They plug right into the external antenna jack to replace the tiny little one from the factory. I also have the Q-stick which couples to any ferrite antenna in a radio. The jack on the Q-stick allows me to plug a long wire or Beverage antenna into the jack, and use the Q-stick to couple the signal from the wire antenna to the ferrite antenna inside a radio. None of those set ups require any modification of the radio it self. - FARMERIK
>
> --- In ultralightdx@..., "balise2001" aunumero13@ wrote:
> >
> > Hi Gary,
> >
> > Many thanks for your kind reply (as usual !)
> >
> > Your LW-design loopstick also looks fine and effective but it seems one has to modify the receiver in order to use it, right ?
> > The problem is I'm not a technie, and I don't want to open and tinker with the radio... actually, I do not feel competent to do this meticulous work.
> >
> > Thus, I would probably be wiser to order a ready-to-use antenna such as the Q-stick Henk has recommanded.
> >
> > Patrick
> >
> >
> > --- In ultralightdx@..., D1028Gary@ wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Patrick,
> > >
> > > Thanks for your message, and also for your private emails concerning the
> > > PL-310 (your questions will be answered privately, soon).
> > >
> > > Concerning the LW-design 7.5" loopsticks for the Tecsun DSP models, I have
> > > developed a sensitive LW loopstick with a plug-in style connector, designed
> > > to fit the Tecsun PL-360 model (which has a loopstick plug-in jack).
> > > Detailed experimentation was run with five different LW loopstick designs
> > > (pictured at _http://www.mediafire.com/i/?iv32u55b1ieyd5p_
> > > (http://www.mediafire.com/i/?iv32u55b1ieyd5p) ), and I am personally using the "E" model (a 1900
> > > uh coil of 100/45 Litz wire on a Type 33 ferrite bar) for NDB reception. So
> > > far, I have logged NDB stations in 5 states and 4 Canadian provinces with
> > > this 7.5" loopstick, including a 250w station in the Canadian province of
> > > Manitoba (248-WG). This particular design has sensitive coverage of the LW
> > > broadcast band (153-279 kHz) and the NDB frequencies up to about 450 kHz. So
> > > far, I've taken about 15 orders for these LW loopsticks, but could make
> > > one more for you, Patrick, if you are willing to wait.
> > >
> > > Although the 7.5" LW loopsticks were designed for the PL-360 model, they
> > > will work with any Tecsun DSP Ultralight radio once the circuitry is
> > > modified to accept the loopstick in place of the stock ferrite bar. The PL-310
> > > external antenna connector can be rewired to accomplish this (the Laurie Mann
> > > modification), and my own Longwave NDB chaser is a modified PL-380, with a
> > > cabinet attachment to accept the LW and MW 7.5" plug-in loopsticks
> > > (pictured below).
> > >
> > > 73 and Good DX,
> > > Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
> >
>

Join main@UltralightDX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.