Re: Improving LW

Kevin Schanilec

Bonjour, Patrick:

C'est vrai! The PL-310 needs a modification, while the PL-360 has a built-in antenna jack that will accept the external antenna. The PL-360 is the only Ultralight (s0 far) that has this feature.

The PL-310 modification is quite an easy one if you have any soldering skills, or would not be a huge imposition on a friend that does have soldering skills :-) See "PL-310 External LW MW Antenna Mod.pdf" in Folder 6, "Alignment and Modification" here on the Group.

Regards - Kevin

--- In ultralightdx@..., "balise2001" <aunumero13@...> wrote:

Hi Farmerik,
Thanks for your comments.
I may be wrong due to my limited english, but what I understood is that
Gary's loopsticks don't need any mod' ONLY when used with a PL-360.
Gary wrote : "Although the 7.5" LW loopsticks were designed for the
PL-360 model, they will work with any Tecsun DSP Ultralight radio once
the circuitry is modified to accept the loopstick in place of the stock
ferrite bar. The PL-310 external antenna connector can be rewired to
accomplish this (...)"
Regards,Patrick, south-east France

--- In ultralightdx@..., "farmerik" <farmerik@> wrote:

I have both Gary's LW and MW antennas for the PL-360. They plug right
into the external antenna jack to replace the tiny little one from the
factory. I also have the Q-stick which couples to any ferrite antenna in
a radio. The jack on the Q-stick allows me to plug a long wire or
Beverage antenna into the jack, and use the Q-stick to couple the signal
from the wire antenna to the ferrite antenna inside a radio. None of
those set ups require any modification of the radio it self. - FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "balise2001" aunumero13@ wrote:

Hi Gary,

Many thanks for your kind reply (as usual !)

Your LW-design loopstick also looks fine and effective but it seems
one has to modify the receiver in order to use it, right ?
The problem is I'm not a technie, and I don't want to open and
tinker with the radio... actually, I do not feel competent to do this
meticulous work.

Thus, I would probably be wiser to order a ready-to-use antenna such
as the Q-stick Henk has recommanded.

Patrick

--- In ultralightdx@..., D1028Gary@ wrote:

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your message, and also for your private emails
concerning the
PL-310 (your questions will be answered privately, soon).

Concerning the LW-design 7.5" loopsticks for the Tecsun DSP
models, I have
developed a sensitive LW loopstick with a plug-in style connector,
designed
to fit the Tecsun PL-360 model (which has a loopstick plug-in
jack).
Detailed experimentation was run with five different LW loopstick
designs
(pictured at _http://www.mediafire.com/i/?iv32u55b1ieyd5p_
(http://www.mediafire.com/i/?iv32u55b1ieyd5p) ), and I am
personally using the "E" model (a 1900
uh coil of 100/45 Litz wire on a Type 33 ferrite bar) for NDB
reception. So
far, I have logged NDB stations in 5 states and 4 Canadian
provinces with
this 7.5" loopstick, including a 250w station in the Canadian
province of
Manitoba (248-WG). This particular design has sensitive coverage
of the LW
broadcast band (153-279 kHz) and the NDB frequencies up to about
450 kHz. So
far, I've taken about 15 orders for these LW loopsticks, but
could make
one more for you, Patrick, if you are willing to wait.

Although the 7.5" LW loopsticks were designed for the PL-360
model, they
will work with any Tecsun DSP Ultralight radio once the circuitry
is
modified to accept the loopstick in place of the stock ferrite
bar. The PL-310
external antenna connector can be rewired to accomplish this (the
Laurie Mann
modification), and my own Longwave NDB chaser is a modified
PL-380, with a
cabinet attachment to accept the LW and MW 7.5" plug-in loopsticks
(pictured below).

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)