SRF-59 coupled to ferrite bars

lrdheat

Dear folks,

Gary's mating of a large ferrite bar to the SRF-59 would be highly
desirable. Like another earlier post, I shy away from opening radios
as "disaster would be sure to follw". I am including a part of a note
that I sent to Gary describing my experience today with inductively
coupling the SRF-59 to a couple of radios with large ferrite bars.
There are some nice pluses to using a radio as opposed to tunable
ferrite bars or selectattena types(sp?)in that the tuning display of
the radio will provide an excellent indication as to what frequency
the ferrite bar is tuned to!

I found today that the coupling my SRF-59 with the antenna in either a
SANGEAN PR-D5, or with a SONY ICF-EX5 makes the SRF-59 slightly more
sensitive than either set. The PR-D5 has to be on for this coupling to
work. That is good and bad...it means that I am using the PR-D5's
batteries during a dxing session, but it also means that it is easy to
properly tune the PR-D5's antenna to the frequency that I hope to peak
on the SRF-59!. The coupling has a very sharp null, and a fairly
narrow peaking window...just offtuning 10 KHz is noticable, and an
offset of 20 KHz is quite noticable. In the case of the analog SONY
ICF-EX5, the EX-5 need not be on...tuning the sliderule indicator to
the frequency of interest results in a pronounced peaking of the
signal on the SRF-59 with about as much of a boost as produced with
the PR-D5.

The attraction of your experimental homebrews is that it does not
employ two items that need to be tuned for each frequency of interest,
and that it is much more portable, has a much smaller footprint.

I'm back...this is a neat refreshing change from the swl'ing that I
had been doing, and harkens back to my days as a youngster staying up
to all hours of the night listening to dx on a 6 transistor set using
the radiator in my room as an antenna.

What type of tips might you have for trying to catch trans Atlantic dx
from Laredo, TX?

Heatwave