Irish stations

MarkWA1ION

Ireland on 252 longwave is fairly easy around here.

Medium wave is tougher since the demise of "old reliable" RTE 567. There are no MW stations in the Irish Republic running what I would call "serious power" (over 10 kW).

At local coastal sites such as Granite Pier, if a DXer uses a cardioid pattern antenna, a station on 846 occasionally shows up (southwest back null needed to knock down WEEI-850 pest). There are also Irish Republic stations on 549 and 981 but the powerhouse Algerians on those channels typically wipe them out. Northern Ireland on 1341 is comparatively easy.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
Billerica, MA + South Yarmouth, MA, USA

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "farmerik" <farmerik@...> wrote:

Thanks for all the effort you are putting into testing for your new design. I would love to be able to hear broadcasts from Ireland myself. I hope I am not too far inland for that, but I am planning another visit to the Coast of Maine in the early Spring. Looking forward to the final article and the antennas being available to order! - FARMERIK

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, D1028Gary@ wrote:

Hello All,

For those interested in the design of a new 7.5" Longwave plug-in loopstick
for the PL-360 (and other Tecsun DSP models), five different loopstick
variations were compared today using a TSG-17 signal generator in the back
yard environment, away from stray conductors and RF fields. The five coil
designs were:

A) 2000 uh coil of 40/44 Litz wire on a Type 33 ferrite bar
B) 1400 uh coil of 165/46 Litz wire on a Type 33 ferrite bar
C) 1900 uh coil of 165/46 Litz wire on a Type 33 ferrite bar
D) 1400 uh coil of 100/45 Litz wire on a Type 33 ferrite bar
E) 1900 uh coil of 100/45 Litz wire on a Type 33 ferrite bar

The LW loopsticks were tested around local noon, on frequencies that were
clear of live LW signals. The results were fairly predictable, in that the
higher inductance coils had better performance on the lower LW frequencies,
while the lower inductance coils did better on the higher frequencies. The
RSSI and S/N readings (shown in the table below) were repeated several
times, to ensure consistency:

160 kHz 200 kHz 280
kHz 350 kHz 450 kHz 510 kHz

A) 2000 uh, 40/44 Litz 39/03 27/03 42/03
44/05 27/02 32/01
B) 1400 uh, 165/46 Litz 28/02 32/06 48/04
50/06 33/05 33/06
C) 1900 uh, 165/46 Litz 45/05 33/07 50/03
50/06 29/03 35/01
D) 1400 uh, 100/46 Litz 25/02 31/05 48/04
49/06 30/03 33/05
E) 1900 uh, 100/46 Litz 42/04 32/06 50/04
48/06 28/02 32/02

For the 153-279 kHz international broadcast band frequencies, the two 1900
uh loopsticks seem to have a significant performance edge, especially on
the lower edge. The performance of all the LW loopsticks is roughly similar
on the middle NDB frequencies, while the 1400 uh models excel at the high
end of the LW band. The 2000 uh coil of 40/44 Litz wire does not provide the
same level of LW performance as the 165/46 or 100/46 Litz wire coils, but
may be an acceptable LW substitute if a hobbyist cannot secure the other
types of Litz wire. This information will be used to determine the best 7.5"
LW plug-in loopstick design for the PL-360 and other Tecsun DSP models.
Thanks to all who have expressed interest in this long-delayed project, which
hopefully will make the Tecsun ULR's highly competitive in LW-DXing success!

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)