Re: TECSUN PL-600

Gary Kinsman

Does setting the Ant Gain switch to Local help with the overload from the blowtorches?

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "m_a_schuster" <schuster@...> wrote:

Has has been pointed out already, this is technically off-topic since the PL-600 does not quality as an ultralight.

That said ... the PL-600 was replaced this fall by the PL-660 which also has a synchronous detector. My first try-out was quite positive; in particular the larger loopstick gives superior sensitivity compared with most ultralights, and the synchronous detector is reasonably effective in cleaning up noise, adjacent channel interference, and some of the distortion from selective fading. However here in RF Alley of norther New Jersey, three blowtorch locals show noticeable distortion in the audio unless you null them out by rotating the set to reduce the signal level.
Fortunately the effects of the overload seem to be limited to the tuned frequency (i.e. the local blowtorches do not spill all through the MW band as I have experienced with some Degen designed models).