PL-380 / Puerto Rican DXers

MarkWA1ION

Guido, I'm sure you'll do very well when you can get outside. That's one advantage of ultralights: you can take them anywhere - backyard, high-rise rooftop, park, beach, mountain, etc.

For DXing in the house, you could always put a longwire or broadband loop outside, use a noise-reducing balun transformer, and run the feedline into the house. This would be connected to a tunable ferrite coupler such as the RadioPlus Shotgun or Q-stick. If you have a Radio Shack, Select-a-Tenna, or Terk passive loop with an external antenna jack, you could use this too. Just place the radio near the coupler and peak-tune to enjoy the signal boost, low noise, and directivity of the outdoor antenna. The "Faraday cage" of your house actually helps keep indoor noise (computer hash etc.) from getting to your outdoor antenna.

Reports from down your way will be very welcome since overall MW DX activity is the Caribbean area is small. In a recent NRC IDXD, I did see the name Kraig Krist, KG4LAC, at Rio Mar Resort in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico. He reported using a Tecsun PL-310 so maybe he reads this list (and maybe you know him?).

I posted logs from a recent Boston area mini-DXpedition at "http://home.comcast.net/~markwa1ion/duxbury_20101111.txt" and some audio clips may be accessed from links at "http://home.comcast.net/~markwa1ion/dx_audio.htm".

Logs are Perseus, not ultralight, so not posted here. They may still be of use to some of you, especially along the US and Canadian East Coast.

Conditions that day (11 NOV) did not include much from the south, unlike some other openings. Sometime I'll get a good run to South America and the Caribbean and I'll report on that. Most likely this would be characteristic of spring and summer. But the sun can flare up at any time just to keep things interesting.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL !

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
Billerica, MA + South Yarmouth, MA, USA

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, Guido Santacana <foxam2001@...> wrote:

Thank you Mark. AMDXing is a whole new ballgame for me. For 34 years most of what I have dome is ham radio, SWLing and boatanchor collecting. Although I don't go to the beach as often as I should, my location is pretty high in the San Juan suburbs. The catches that I mentioned were done inside my reinforced concrete home that acts almost like a Faraday shield. This weekend I will see what I can catch outside.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Guido KP4FAR