best time for US stations being heard in UK

MarkWA1ION

Based on my 1977 trip to Ireland when I logged numerous US and Canadian stations on a Realistic 12-655 "TRF", I would say get started about an hour before local dawn. Interfering mainland European stations to the east will start fading as they enter daylight. You should be able to get some North American signals up to 30-60 minutes after dawn there: even longer than that if you have salt water immediately to the west and northwest of your location. Western coastal sites in Ireland - Sligo, Clifden, Westport, and Dingle - outperformed Dublin where there was much more land in the way of the DX.

To some extent the principles that Gary applies to Asia openings from the US West Coast apply to North American peak reception in Europe.

On the opposite end of this path (hearing Europe from eastern US/Canada), local sunset +/- 1 hour is best. So when we're hearing your side the best isn't necessarily going to be the best time of night for you DXing the reverse path. The time that provides the desired darkness route consistent with minimized closer-station interference is what works in either case. It just turns out that 2030-2230 UTC might be best here in the eastern USA and 0500-0700 UTC does better in the UK.

We have a list member in Northern Ireland who can give you a much more up to date look.

You might want to consider Medium Wave Circle membership. After reading a few of their bulletins, you will have a very good idea about reception times best suited to TA DX there, and which stations are being heard on a variety of receivers from ultralights up to AOR 7030+ and Perseus.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
Billerica, MA + South Yarmouth, MA, USA

--- In ultralightdx@..., "seta" <michael.setaazul@...> wrote:

Kevin,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I´m glad my G8 and plans
fit. I also have an elderly ICF-SW1 which needs
new tantals in the AF stage, but which otherwise might
benefit from the experiment.

(I also have an Eton E5 and a SONY ICF 7600D, both
of which need attention, and wouldn´t qualify anyway.
I´ll whisper the bad news to them gently...)

It will be a while before I can get operative. If I
want to try for US stations, what UTC time of day
would be best? Are there MF propagation predictors
on the web?

Michael