Re: Noise cancelling for G8 etc

MarkWA1ION

Many DXers are using the "Quantum Phaser" sold by RadioPlus. See "http://www.dxtools.com/Phaser.htm" for more information.

Alternately there are several homebrew designs from the simple to the complex available on my tech page "http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/index.html" and Dallas Lankford's page "http://www.kongsfjord.no/dl/dl.htm".

If the antennas used have the same pick-up pattern, they should be placed at least 100 ft. / 30 m apart, otherwise you null everything together - noise/pests and desired DX as well. If the antennas have different pick-up patterns: loop versus vertical, or two loops at a right angle, they can be located closer together, maybe about 10 ft. / 3 m apart, and still allow nulling of one pest station or noise signal without appreciably weakening stations you want to hear.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
Billerica, MA + South Yarmouth, MA, USA

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "bty49514" <michael.setaazul@...> wrote:

For now, I am inductively coupling my G8 to a longer ferrite aerial
with MW and LW coils and separate tuning capacitors. I may later
experiment with direct connection to the PCB and/or a 5-turn coupling
link on the internal ferrite.

Does anyone have designs for phase-cancelling of digital and transient noise (computers, domestic equipment, power-lines etc.)? I wonder if TWO external ferrite aerials (equal length, one long one short or one and a pick-up wire aerial) might be used so that interference can be phased-cancelled. Any circuit ideas would be valuable as a starting point.

Michael
UK