Re: Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 11-4

pianoplayer88key

Hi Gary...

I've been noticing a significant gap from the mid 1100s to the mid 1500s or so in your TP DX reports, although I occasionally see something on 1377 or near there reported.  I do recall that you've said local pest 1450-KSUH blasts in at 75/25 on your barefoot PL-380.
When I had reception of 774-JOUB on 10-20, I (as always) had to deal with a pest 14kHz down the dial, 760-KFMB, 7.3 miles distant at heading 320°, which runs 50kW directional (77/25 to 81/25 on the G8 depending on where I am in the house or yard) nighttime and 5kW non-directional (~66/25 to 67/25 on the G8) daytime.  The clip you took out of my 30-minute recording was made after KFMB had switched to their daytime operation.  I took a similar clip from about the same spot out of the original uncompressed recording and uploaded it.
Here's a few clips of 774-JOUB recorded on 10-20, all aided by the Select-A-Tenna carefully nulling 760-KFMB:  at 1345 on PL-380  (760-KFMB was on 5kW daytime operation), 1347 on my Panasonic RQ-SW20  (whose selectivity is probably a little better than the SRF-M37W, but not much, and I suspect the SW20 being a bit less sensitive than the M37W could probably at least almost level the playing field there), and 1340 on the PL-380  (while KFMB was on its 50kW nighttime operation).

Also, it seems that the Select-A-Tenna may be possibly good enough to get something on 594kHz (maybe JOAK?), between 600-KOGO's ~64/25 signal (7.7 miles distant, heading 249°) and its ~42/00 IBOC on 588kHz.  I haven't had the opportunity to check in the last couple weeks (and the last two mornings I slept right through my 1315 alarm and didn't wake up until after 1600), but the last couple times I did check for something on 594, I thought I heard some trace of a carrier (I could hear the soft mute cutting in and out a couple times), but any audio that may have been there was buried too far under the noise to be able to make it out.  I hope tomorrow morning I don't sleep through the alarm (again!) ;)

I've always thought your antennas were supposed to be much better than mine.  Or is it possible that they're much better at high gain on a channel, but not as good at nulling a strong local on a nearby frequency in near the same direction?  If it's possible to get good nulls on your strong locals, I'll be looking forward to reports of TP reception within 20kHz of your strongest locals, and if possible, sandwiched between your strongest IBOC pest's main channel audio and its IBOC carriers.) :)  Or is it getting to be too late in the season for that?  And once TPs start winding down, what should I try for next, if anything?  Of course they will be aided by the Select-A-Tenna (or another external antenna), although I may try barefoot if signals are strong enough - I think I've heard 774-JOUB a couple times barefoot, but I wasn't recording at the time so I have no way to prove it.

Interestingly, early this morning around 0800 to 0900 or so before I drifted off to snoozeland, I tuned around on the PL-380, using the SAT to try to boost a few signals, and heard some split-frequency-like hets on several frequencies, including 972 (which was a fairly strong het even barefoot), and maybe 738, 711, possibly 1053 IIRC and possibly a couple others.  The audio level basically never came up well enough to push through the soft-mute threshold, though, so I don't know if I actually was getting any split-frequency stations.