From: huelbe_garcia@...
Subject: [ultralightdx] Bit OT: Why nulls improve with tilting?
To: ultralightdx@...
Date: Wednesday, November 3, 2010, 10:32 PM

Hello all!

Stephen posted a few hours ago a note on something I always wondered the reason: tilting the antenna does improve nulls of groundwaves. I can't think on an good explanation why this happens :)

As all MF stations use vertical irradiators, I think no tilting would be needed to null the station completely, specially when tuning groundwaves.

But this is not the case. Most of the time, the local stations need some tilt to null it out. Only when I hear not-so-local stations (say some 20mi/30km away), tilting is not needed anymore.

Would you guys guide me why we need tilting on groudwave MF?

Thanks a lot!

Huelbe.