From: dhsatyadhana
Subject: [ultralightdx] Re: folks!!
To: ultralightdx@...
Date: Sunday, October 31, 2010, 6:19 PM

Hi all:

The reason we ultimately decided not to allow SSB in the ULR definitions was that, even if it was not sideband selectable, it can be used to detect heterodynes, especially on 9 khz-spaced signals (from this side of the pond) that regular AM radios cannot; having spent some time at the beach with the PL-310 and PL-380, I can attest that it would have been a definite advantage. Also, a stable BFO can provide a usable carrier for increased readability with weak or fluttering signals.

For all of the criteria (size, price, availability, function, etc.) we strove to create categories that allowed many radios in but cut the technology level and other features off at a certain point to increase the challenge of DXing with very basic gear. Sorry to see that this is a sensitive issue for some.

Hope this helps - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA