Re: What are your memorable DX moments?

gerfmon

Hi everyone, I'm 52 years old and have been playing with radios since I was 7 or 8 years old. I've been a ham since 1983 so I have a lot of very memorable DX moments.

Two come to mind right off, with one involving ultralight DXing. Last fall with my puny little Tecsun PL-310 I heard my first transoceanic MW broadcast! There in the early morning hours I clearly heard a Japanese TP. I had been listening for TP's and TA's for DECADES with NO luck...using decent wire antennas and a variety of Icom, Yaesu, Kenwood, and other good receivers. Through the help of this group I finally was able to listen at the right time of day during the right time of the year! I was thrilled to death, and as silly as it might seem, I accomplished one of my life's goals! :)

Another doesn't involve ultralight DXing. For years I had wanted to copy a "Lowfer" beacon in the 170-190 KHz experimenters band. These are the guys running <1 watt into an antenna less than 50 feet in length....Kind of like trying to copy a 20 meter station running a watt into antenna only a few inches long. Two winters ago using my Flexradio SDR-1000, Argo, lots of filters, and a good high dynamic range active antenna I managed to copy not one, but several "Lowfers" across the USA. Another one of my radio goals achieved!

But really I've had a lot of memorable DX events as a ham, playing with weak signal VHF, UHF, and SHF up to 10 GHz. Even moonbounce (EME) on 432 MHz. But those are a whole bunch of other stories for another time and another group. :)

BTW, I know it's not a real ultralight, but I'm about to order a PL-390 from Joyce, just in time for the DX season.

73,
Jerry, KD0GS
Longmont, CO