Re: Personal UL Records

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

John,

THANK YOU for uploading your own personal records.  You are correct, of course, that there is no way that most Ultralighters can compete for World or Western Hemisphere distance records with the few of us who happen to live in the right spots for the very best trans-oceanic DX. However, you are even "righter" to give us your personal records.  I've just been explaining Ultralighting to some of my old mossbacked buddies from SWBC DXing and one of the two major attributes of this little hobby to me is that fact that each one of us is really competing with themselves more than anything else.  Getting a new state or a new personal distance record for 1 kilowatt stations is just about as much fun as I have ever had in radio.....  and I also like the way that we all seem to cheer for each other.... even in the World Record stuff, it seems much more important that the limits have been pushed out there to xxxx miles rather than who happened to be at the right place at the right time.  I'm still living in the glow of Dennis Vroom's Barefoot reception of VOA Thailand on 1575 last April.  That was our first barefoot REALLY long distance catch.  Now that I know that he was standing in the midst of the doggie doo in the "Pet Area" outside the Grayland Motel to have the best chance to pull in VOA, I like it even better.

You betcha... personal records are the heart of this thing... along with the honor system.  Despite being an absolutely rabid QSLer myself (in "normal" DXing), I love the fact that Untralight records, contests, etc. are run strictly on the honor system and that QSLing is unimportant in this niche of the hobbies.  I think that the honor system works so well here because we are mostly old enough to figure out that cheating on these things really only ends up cheating yourself....

So, let us all know when you hit 40 states, John.... we'll throw a heck of a party!  In the mean time, looking at your own records, isn't it time for you to apply to Rob Ross for some more of those spiffy awards???  :>)

John Bryant

At 05:34 PM 10/14/2008 +0000, you wrote:

There's no way I can match the UL logs that are coming in from the
West Coast, Newfoundland or Europe. But part of the hobby is making
and breaking personal records. I've gone through my UL log and came
up with my personal UL "bests" so far:

TOTAL- 361 stations
STATES- 32
PROVINCES- 3
COUNTRIES-10

FURTHEST 50 KW LOG- 850-KOA Denver CO at 1549 mi/2478 km (domestic- I
have to check for international 50 Kw stations)
FURTHEST 10 KW LOG- 990-WNML Knoxville TN at 506 mi/810 km
FURTHEST 5 KW LOG- 860-CMDB Colon, Cuba at 1188 mi/1901 km
FURTHEST 1 KW LOG- 560-WQAM Miami FL at 972 mi/1555 km
FURTHEST 500W LOG- 540-WWCS Canonsburg PA at 253 mi/405 km
FURTHEST 250W LOG-730-WLIL Lenoir City TN at 534 mi/854 km. Listed
night power is 214 watts- close enough!

FURTHEST OVERALL LOG- 1134-Croatia at 4447 mi/7115 km

John Cereghin
Smyrna DE