Re: Submission for New Barefoot UL world record!

MarkWA1ION

I caught up on the later e-mails and found that greater than 7000
miles had indeed been done from the West Coast. Deep Africa would be
the only likely target from this area that would be in a similar
distance range and actually away from polar zones enough to be
feasible. Lesotho (1197) is around 7900 miles and had been heard (as
BBC) in the '90s by me on barefoot Sony ICF-2010 (no, not an
ultralight) at both the Granite Pier (Rockport) and Windmill Beach (S.
Yarmouth) sites.

Unfortunately both the effective radiated power level and schedule
regularity of Lesotho have deteriorated in the past 10 years. Now
it's a tough catch on good gear. We need a South African station in
the megawatt plus class like Saudi 1521. Or a high band Australian of
that kind of power for a dawn DX catch here.

If we could just blow up WQEW-1560 Radio Disney, India-1566 could come
into play. It's been logged at the Rowley, MA salt-marsh on a Drake
R8A and phased verticals (50 m separation), but that station making
the leap to a barefoot ultralight possibility would require 1560
(WQEW) and 1570 (CFAV/WNSH) getting out of the way somehow.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA, USA

--- In ultralightdx@..., "MarkWA1ION" <MarkWA1ION@...>
wrote:

On 8 OCT 2008, I had UAE on both 1170 (Radio Sawa) and 1575 (Radio
Farda) on the barefoot Eton E-100 at Granite Pier - Rockport, MA,
USA.

My calculations show the distance to these as 6650 miles or 10702 km.

Could this be an Ultralight barefoot distance record ?

I thought some of the West Coast guys had greater than 7000 miles.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA, USA