Re: Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 9-19

wa8lcz

hi gary,

have you tried tapping off a few turns on your 9 ft loop for the higher freqs (1000 to 1700 kc)? I use 2 turns for hi freqs and 6 turns for low freqs (530-1000 kc) on my 34 inch loop and it works pretty well, across the entire band. you could use a relay to select 2 or 6 turns.

byron

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your comments on the TP-DX reports, and of course I knew that
these that these monster loops would be strictly outdoor animals in rainy
western Washington, so they were designed with some serious weather
protection.

Like I was telling Bruce on the IRCA list, even Guy Atkins (4 miles away to
the SE, in Puyallup) and I have major differences in our TP-DXing results,
with Guy pulling in far more high-band TP's and me pulling in more
low-band TP's. Part of this may be related to our soil differences (he's on a
rocky hill, while I'm in a fertile river valley), but the main reason may be
our completely different antenna systems. The 9' PVC Loop (like all tuned
passive loops) has its highest "Q" and best performance on the lower tuned
frequencies, and its combination of very high gain and single-frequency
optimization can be fairly potent from 530 kHz up to about 900 kHz. In comparison
to single-loop directional antennas (like those used by Guy and Bruce),
the 9' PVC loop loses this relative advantage when tuning the higher AM
frequencies, and both of these DXers can routinely receive high-band TP audio
that doesn't show up here. So it's essentially a bizarre situation where the
9' PVC loop seems to be an overachiever on the lower AM frequencies, and
an underachiever (relative to Flags, Pennants, K9AY's, etc.) on the higher
AM frequencies. Guy and I have known about the strange differences in our
TP-DXing results for some time, and plan some additional tests on this
fascinating subject as rare free time allows.

73, Gary

In a message dated 9/19/2010 4:31:43 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
satya@... writes:

Another impressive list, Gary! I hope you don't get too wet standing
under your skyscraper loop every morning - maybe take a couple more pieces
of PVC and put an awning on it :-)

I second what Brice P. said earlier - what a difference 40 miles makes, as
your list is quite different from mine in some regards. 837-China was in
good here as it was with Bruce, and 693 was easily the best of the JJ big
guns here. 1287-JJ was pretty good at times as well. I heard two
stations on 657, judging by the dueling hets, but again 660-KAPS foiled
any plans to hear them; I have reversed the direction of my super loop to
have a northward null, so perhaps things will be easier tomorrow.
1566-HLAZ was good all morning, but 1575 was but a light het.

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

Hello All,

It was another China morning here, with moderate signals showing up on
various new frequencies like 684 and 1044 kHz. There were no dramatic
fade-ins
(like yesterday's 657-China) and signals in general were not at
yesterday's
strong levels, but the morning was another indication of shifting
propagation bringing more Chinese areas into play. The Japanese and
Korean stations
seemed a little down in strength compared to previous days, though, and
"big gun" TP audio didn't sound very big this morning.

Rare decent audio on 684 kHz was observed here for the first time this
season around 1330 (apparent Chinese), and CRI on 1044 kHz had its best
signal
of the season so far with its Japanese language program around 1335. The
CNR1 stations on 639 and 756 had their best audio so far, and 927 and 936
kHz took turns producing fair audio. In comparison to these, audio from
the
other typically strong Asians on 603, 648, 657, 666, 675 and 738 was off
in
strength a little, and the NHK stations weren't especially vibrant.

One interesting find around 1325 was a strong, ragged carrier on 702 kHz
(a
frequency with severe 710-Seattle splatter here), which sounded like a
typical (rickety) North Korean transmitter. No TP has ever been logged on
702
(or 711) here because of the oppressive KIRO splatter, but the 702 kHz
signal disappeared right after the huge 9' loop was wrestled around in an
optimistic attempt to null KIRO (easier said than done :-) It's great to
have
Walt's TP reports back from Masset-- a location in a completely different
Asiatic propagation league than Puyallup!

The following were received on a C.Crane SWP Slider model (7.5"
loopstick)
inductively coupled to a 9' sided PVC tuned passive loop in the back
yard:

594 JOAK Tokyo, Japan Fair-good with Japanese conversation around 1312
603 TP-Mix UnID Chinese station having the edge over HLSA Korean at
1308
639 CNR1 (Many stations in China) Fair-good Chinese speech and music,
1338
648 VOR Razdolnoye, Russia Chinese program at fair strength w/ fades,
1321
657 Pyongyang BS, N. Korea All alone this morning but usually at fair
strength
666 JOBK Osaka, Japan In and out with Japanese speech at anemic
strength
675 VOV Hanoi, Vietnam Fair Vietnamese signals in 680 splatter, 1318
684 UnID Fair Chinese speech fading in suddenly around 1337; first
Asian
audio
heard on this frequency since last season, but no ID clues
702 UnID Strong ragged carrier presumed from NK, but too much KIRO
splatter
at 1325 to dig out the funky audio
738 BEL2 Penghu, Taiwan Fair Chinese speech over a presumed HKLG in
this typical September mix
747 JOIB Sapporo, Japan Fair-good signals no match for KXL splatter at
1323
756 CNR1 China Fair-good Chinese program at 1335, best sigs of season
so
far
774 JOUB Akita, Japan NHK2 program barely audible in severe KTTH slop,
1311
783 UnID Threshold audio (apparently Chinese) showing up on this
frequency
891 TP-Mix An anonymous collection of weak TP stations drowning each
other out
927 China (presumed) Weak to fair Chinese program fading in and out
repeatedly
936 China (presumed) Slightly stronger than 927 with Chinese speech at
1318
972 HLCA Dangjin, S. Korea Weaker than usual with Korean program at
1337
1035 China (presumed) Fair-good Chinese speech and music for most of
morning
1044 CRI Jiangsu, China Good signals (best of season) with Japanese
language
external program at 1335
1053 Korean Jammer Not as vibrant as usual this morning, but no TP
co-channels
1134 TP-Mix A typical snarl of JOQR and KBS at good strength around
1338
1377 China (presumed) In and out with poor to fair audio for most of
morning
1566 HLAZ Jeju, S. Korea Good strength with Japanese religious program
at 1306
1575 VOA Ban Rassom, Thailand Fair Asiatic language audio around 1302
1593 China (presumed) Threshold audio with deep fades for most of
morning

73 and Good DX,