Re: ULR DX.....WEIRD ONE on 1710 Khz.....OLDIES..."The BIG Q"????? Need Help with this one......

wa8lcz

Hi Rob,

WIKIPEDIA.ORG SAYS:
ITU region 2 also authorizes the Extended AM broadcast band between 1610 kHz and 1710 kHz. Medium wave is by far the most heavily used band for commercial broadcasting.

AT 0635EDT today, I heard bobby gentrys song Shocktau Ridge, very weak east/west on 1710 kc, he must be closer to you then me (near Detroit) then he fadded out. radio locator and FCC database show no stations operating on 1710 kc.

from wikipedia.org:
Microbroadcasting
Some microbroadcasters and pirate radio broadcasters, especially those in the United States under the FCC's Part 15 rules, broadcast on AM to achieve greater range than is possible on the FM band. On mediumwave (AM), such radio stations are often found between 1610 kHz and 1710 kHz. Hobbyists also use low-power AM transmitters to provide local programming for antique radio equipment in areas where AM programming is not widely available or is of questionable quality; in such cases the transmitter, which is designed to cover only the immediate property and perhaps nearby areas, is hooked up to a computer or music player.

byron wa8lcz

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Robert S.Ross VA3SW" <va3sw@...> wrote:

Hi Guys:

Just Logged a Weird one on 1710 Khz, and need some help ID'ing this.
Details of logging are below. If anyone knows who this is......I'd be
grateful!! A quick check on the Internet comes up blank.

It seemed to be oriented EAST/WEST of me here in London, ONTARIO.

Radio Used......SONY SRF-T615 ULR Barefoot

73...ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

1710 "The Big Q"?? UNID E/W of me Sept/05/10 0318-0400 EDT EE Fair-Good
Continuous OLDIES MUSIC. Songs included "Sunshine Lollipops", "GTO" by The
BeachBoys, "Come Tomorrow", "Jennifer". 60's/70's Oldies mainly.
Male DJ Spoke after every 3 Songs or so. At 0353 EDT he said..."If you can
hear this broadcast...you must have a Radio near you". At 0357 Male DJ said
"Crankin' out the Monsters on the BIG Q" ????? Still in with OLDIES after
0400 EDT.

Don't know if this is a Pirate, Part 15 Station, or what??? Somebody may
know
who this is??? Maybe it is LOCAL to you??? Any help appreciated!!

ROSS, ONT.