From: Rick Robinson <w4dst@...>
Subject: [ultralightdx] Re:PL-390 External LW MW Antenna Mod
To: ultralightdx@...
Date: Tuesday, August 31, 2010, 2:59 PM

 An oddity, however, that is not present on the 310 is images of daytime locals 90 KHz above the local's frequency (for example, I hear a clear mirror image of 1490 on 1580). Strange also is that I do not hear mirror images of locals located below about 1300 KHz on the dial. Anyone else note this quirk?

I noticed an image at 1540kHz on my PL-380 when I was within 120' of my local 1450kHz transmitting tower.  Image frequencies are at (the transmitter frequency +/- 2 X IF frequency) which in the case of the Si4734 chip is 45kHz.   This gave me the image at 1450 + 90.  Nothing was noted at 1360kHz, which I had expected to also find.   What is odd is that the images are present on your PL-390 and not on your PL-310.  I wonder if this is due to some shielding present in the '310 that is absent in the '390.  I had a Grundig S-350 that picked up an image of my local 1450kHz station on 540kHz over 6 miles away.  I've never encountered this on any other radio I've owned, ULR or otherwise.

Rick W4DST