Testing Insignia and Tecsun 390 on FM

Giampiero Bernardini

Ciao from Italy,

Monday I could test on FM, for about one hour, the very ultralight Insignia NS-HD01 HD Radio FM (28,88 dollars on eBay, refurbished) and the not so ultralight Tecsun PL-390 (50 dollars). I went at Quercianella, a nice place south of Livorno (Tuscany), that is good for FM DXing. There was good tropo.

Insigna HD could get several station from Corsica island, Sardinia Island, Southern France and from the other side of Mediterranean Sea, Spain (700-1200 km far). I didn’t use any external antenna as I usual do. But only the headphone cord moving it with the hands. So on 96.9 MHz I could listen 2 different Spanish stations ! I was really surprised because both got into my ear with good audio and I could hear clear ids. The same with Tecsun PL-390 with its telescopic antenna. DSP is great!

And I could listen also to Onda Regional Murcia, 1160 km, with good audio even if propagation was fading in and out and the signal was going up and down.

96.90 Kiss FM, Monte Picayo, Valencia, Spain, (980 km)

96.90 SER Barcelona, Tibidabo, Catalunya, Spain (713 km).

105.30 Onda Regional Murcia, Sierra de Carrascoy, Murcia, Spain (1160 km).

The problem of Insigna is that it is made for the USA market, it have 200 kHz steps. In Europe we need at least a 100 kHz step FM receiver. So only with Tecsun PL-390 I could tune also:

102.00 COPE, Barcelona / Torre de Collserola, Catalunya (713 km).

In summary: this two low cost receiver work very well!

Does anybody knows if it is possible to change the step of Insignia NS-HD01 ?

Have nice time

Giampiero

Giampiero Bernardini

Milano, Italy