Re: Grundig G6

ferrite61 <dxrx@...>

Actually, it sounds like hash considering the numerous devices, but power-line generated noise is a buzz. Sodium vapor or Sodium Argon Street-lights are the worst offenders. Even in operation at closer distances of under 100m, there is the tell-tale arc-buzz to them.

Paul S. in CT

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "jaypolicow@..." <jaypolicow@...> wrote:

You have to separate noise floors in the radios you compare with the noise level in your environment. The only really accurate comparisons of radio sensitivity are done where the ambient RF noise level (RFI) is low enough to reveal the inherent signal to noise ratio difference of the rreceivers under test. If there is local RFI the tests ae skewed and not very meaningful.

Also local noise usually manifests itself as a buzz, not a pure hiss such as when listening to a very weak AM signal in a very quiet RF environment.

Jay Allen

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, Scott Macatee <scottmac112@> wrote:

On 8/9/2010 5:04 AM, ferrite61 wrote:
I've had power outages here in the last few years, and when the grid goes down, a great majority of that hiss dissapears. The E100/PL200 are quiet with some hiss. Even the WRX911 quieted down considerably. The G6 still had internal artifacts. The G5 is deathly silent... I would say clean signal. My PL310 and R911 have not had such a test. I find it valuable to "noise floor" readings.

Paul S. in CT

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "jaypolicow@"<jaypolicow@> wrote:
Paul S,

As one Connecticutian to another I agree with your assessment that the PL-200/Eton E100 is a little gem. Mine matches my PL310 on MW but without the occasional spurious tones and noises of every DSP radio I've tried so far...when a weak signal is tuned on the PL-200 it always has pure hiss behind it, never any odd noises.

Jay Allen

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "ferrite61"<dxrx@> wrote:
Yes but I can do that on any of my 3 ULR's, including the el-cheapo R-911. Its APITA on it but doable. (Re: my old comments on the R-911's 'station locking'. The WRX-911 didn't grab as strongly, and was a bit better tuning station to station.) Nonetheless, I find the PL-200 and PL-310 at least as good as the G6... at a lesser price. One lives and learns... I really don't need a PL-210, but I'm very interested in how it compares with its predecessor the E-100 or PL-200. ie: is quality slipping in favor of memory? Is the tuning knob an improvement over the 310's unusual variable-velocity speed-tuning? Any degradation of the ferrite rod quality? etc. I am concerned that if one missed out on the E100/PL200, should I (or anyone else here) consider or recommend the PL-210 as substitute. Off hand, and at first glance I would, as the DSP radios aren't noticably better (but with due respect, they're less expensive).

IMHO one will pretty much have to pry my PL-200 from dead cold fingers. The PL-310 can beat it on the low AM-BCB out of the box, but has issues with the soft-mute, and the 380 was ferrite-bar compromised... quality IS slipping as time marches on. Convenience seems to be winning, dumbing-down the receivers from enthusiast to consumer. /MHO

Paul S. in CT

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com,<dmccorm@> wrote:
I hate to tell you this guys, but my G6 Buzz edition beats my G8 in the AM and shortwave band barefoot. Even after alignment of the stock G8 loopstick for the BCB. I listen to WGN and WBBM regularly on my G6. I took it camping in the UP of MI and had a blast with it.

73's, Dave K9DV

---- Rick Robinson<w4dst@> wrote:
Thanks to Tony and Keith for the info regarding the G6. My Sony 2010 is
not much on the air band unless you are at an airport. Including the
air band in radios must've been included to give an airline traveler
something to pass time while waiting on a flight to arrive.

I've been very pleased with my G8 and PL-380 and the G6 sounds like it
would be a disappointment compared to the other 2.

Rick W4DST
Well, that looks like a consensus there, folks. Is the mini 400 any
better? I could snag one from Amazon right now for $30. Or which of
these brands is better: Tecsun or Degen, and is either better than
Grundig/Eton? I'm not much into SWL, but if it performs better than my
G8 in that respect, I might give it a whirl. I'm mainly concerned with
MW and FM (especially), because longwave is useless down here, and it
takes a special radio to pick up the OCCASIONAL tropospheric episode we
get. Thanks to all!

Scott
Hobbs, NM