Re: New logs from Connecticut

Bill M <radioexray@...>

terribly wet wrote:
Somebody sort of agrees with me !!!
I mean no offense but it is true the foreign language stations seem
to get away with no ID's or power or ??
I see (hear) a lot of evidence to that end.
I can understand Puerto Rico and if the normal language is Spanish
why ID in an abnormal language ?
Weeel, not to drift off into political matters...the stations in PR are regulated by the same FCC rules as the mainland and if the FCC doesn't specifically indicate an English language ID then the Spanish, Kurdu or Esperanto or whatever ID is apparently acceptable. I don't know if that's "law" or something that has just been accepted because there is no specific "law".
By the charts no way should WLIE 540 be booming in here...
WLIE 540...hmmmm I've been in the middle of Connecticut and they
boom into there nights...
I've heard them at power change 'some switching sounds' and signal
goes down then more switching and signal goes UP. Any audience out in
the ocean ?
The maps tend to be somewhat generic. Just like has been indicated in some recent posts it doesn't take much distance from a shore or salt marsh or inland soil to really goof up the predictions. Maps like radio-locator. com certainly cannot cover every detail but do give a good general overview.

Waxing on the same subject...in my younger days we beached at Myrtle Beach, SC. The ONLY stations to be heard that carried music of the day were WAPA in Jacksonville, FL, WMBL Morehead City, NC, weakly WGNI? from Wilmington NC. If you toted the picnic radio a few hundred yards away from the beach you pretty much lost reception on those stations. Suffice to say (again) that even a few hundred yards can make a difference in reception.

Many non-English stations in area such as WDJZ 1530..WADS 690 have a
habit of signing off at sundown..or forgetting to...
Many are guilty there I guess. I'd guess if you are a daytimer you
would really like to 'stay on a little longer'....
haha, I have a war story. I once caught a station in Virginia going thru the usual afternoon signoff. They reminded the listeners that they were still available on their FM outlet. The AM never shut down. I called them on the phone and the guy seemed tickled to hear that some schmuck from a state away was actually listening to them and they 'corrected' the problem immediately :)
Probably everybody has a local pest. oooooooooooooooooo..I wish they
would go away !!!! o--for dxing at least they sign off at night !!!
hmmmmmmmmm
My pest is about 1600 feet away, WIVV on 1370. At least they drop to 1kw at night. I can easily tell when they don't.

I'd like to be down there just to listen to a different collection of
'dx'. Do all those Caribbean countries still have AM'ers running ?
or like the 'Canada syndrome'...
Many of the islands still maintain their traditional AM outlets. PR itself is still big on local AM stations since their is no Rush/ESPN type automated programming generally available to turn the locally owned stations into non-IDing robots.

If there is a gripe to be had from this listening location its the wall of 50kw broadcasters from Venezuela (~500 miles) on what seems like every other AM channel at night. Some of them are regulars even during daytime. During the day from my location Radio Caracas on 750 (100kw) is almost as strong as R. Puerto Rico (WIAC) on 740 which is only 60 miles away.

When Hugo decides to give a 4-hour speechrant you can forget IDing any Venezuelan. That's good in a way since any station NOT broadcasting his speech is almost guaranteed to be outside of Venezuela which generally counts as a good DX mark. :)

-Bill