Re: newbie

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

Marshall,

Welcome to the group.... we all hope that you'll enjoy this fellowship and find the niche hobby of Ultralight Radio to be the great fun that we do.

You asked a question about Nexxtech clock radio..... You are welcome, even encouraged to DX with any pocket radio that you wish, of course... this is an individual hobby and meant to be unadulterated fun for each of us.  However, as you indicated, if you wish to qualify for Ultralight MW DX Records, Awards or Contests, you do need to be using a radio that has been recognized as an "Ultralight" radio by our Definitions Committee. One of their criteria precludes devices of mulkti-use that also include a radio. (Flash light/ radio, recorder/radio, walking stick/radio, etc.)  I am not sure whether your "clock radio" falls under that criteria or not, since several recognized Ultralights contain a clock function.

The best thing that you could do is submit the Nexxtech receiver to the committee for review.... You'll need to submit manufacturers specs or manual as well as photo, dimensions, etc.... All of that info is likely contained in the Owners Manual (an on-line version?)  You could contact the Committee through Kevin Schanilec at
satya@...

Be sure, too, and review the latest Shootout (Summer 2008) of the top Ultralights and other relevant files at the Ultralight Files area on dxer.ca.

Welcome aboard!!!

John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Ultralights
Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array SE/NW
Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest

At 01:24 PM 10/3/2008 +0000, you wrote:

Hi guys

just joind group been bcb dxer since earklt 1070's
logged over 1100 differant stations
I understand I need to get radios aproved for I want to use 2 little
NEXXTECH pocket sixed clock radios both cost $50.00 each
they are sold at The SORCE stores. thyey are about ths size of a 60- 70
transister pocket radio,

so once I hear from you I can start ultralight dxing for rael .
Marshall