Re: July 2010 Oregon Beach Ultralight DXpedition Report

Gary DeBock

Hi Richard,

Yes, I also wish you could have been in Oregon to enjoy the wild DXing fun-- chasing AM stations in Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific (from the west coast) is about the only way to have much AM-DXing fun in the middle of summer. It's kind of like a head start on the Fall Season!

The 7.5" loopstick PL-360 would have received all the South Pacific DX at the same signal levels as the 7.5" loopstick PL-380, but with more domestic splatter in some cases (because of the fixed 3 kHz DSP selectivity in the PL-360). This wouldn't have happened in all cases, though, like in receiving 891-5AN, which had no domestic splatter anywhere nearby. The 7.5" loopstick PL-360 should be a fun radio for domestic DXing, where the selectivity requirements aren't as great as in 9 kHz-split DXing.

73, Gary

In a message dated 8/3/2010 4:41:46 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, richarda@... writes:

Gary:

Thanks for the report. I wish I could have been there to enjoy the DXing fun. It would have been nice to see how the PL-360/7.5" combo might have performed.

Richard.

Richard Allen
36°22'51N / 97°26'35"W