Re: Oregon Beach DXpedition Completed

pianoplayer88key

What RF hash issues are you talking about, Gary? Did someone build a multiplexing AM antenna farm right at the Grayland DX beach location with 50kW IBOC transmitters on each of 540, 630, 720, 810, 900, 990, 1080, 1170, 1260, 1350, 1440, and 1530? That too would absolutely give me fits if I was trying to DX around that on my barefoot PL-380, and I don't think I'd even try doing it with a SRF-M37W!

Hi Mark,

Thanks very much for your comments on the DX received during the Lincoln
City, Oregon DXpedition with Ultralight gear.

Chuck H., Bruce P., Patrick M. and my local friend Guy Atkins are helping
me go through some South Pacific UnID mysteries prior to drafting of the
DXpedition report, which I'm eager to complete. It will include links to
MP3's of several less common DU's, which seem to only occasionally show up at
Grayland with much more advanced equipment. I think there is a general
consensus that the Ultralight DXing results at Lincoln City were unusually good,
which may be related to the DXing location on top of a cliff (of about
100') adjacent to the ocean beach.

Whatever the reason for the great DX in Lincoln City, it seems like a nice
place to investigate, now that the Grayland Motel has fallen out of favor
because of recent RF hash issues.

73, Gary

In a message dated 7/26/2010 8:30:00 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
MarkWA1ION@... writes:

Gary, I'm looking forward to seeing your report. With what you've done at
the QTH in July with Ultralight gear, I'd like to see what you and some of
the other West Coast guys could do there in October with "big-gun" receivers
and antennas (Perseus or Excalibur receiver, QDFA or Beverage antenna).

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
Billerica, MA + South Yarmouth, MA, USA

--- In _ultralightdx@... (mailto:ultralightdx@...)
, D1028Gary@ wrote:

Hello All,

We are now back home in Puyallup, WA now after a thrilling ULR
DXpedition
to an Oregon ocean beach at Lincoln City, primarily to chase South
Pacific
DX with the new 7.5" plug-in loopstick PL-380 and 3' portable PVC tuned
passive loop. Before leaving Oregon I had a chance to meet with Patrick
Martin,
one of the west coast's premier DU-chasing experts with decades of
experience. Patrick seemed to be quite fascinated with the new 7.5"
fixed-loopstick PL-380 that I left him as a gift, and hopefully he will
soon enjoy
chasing TP-DX with it, as an exciting way to rejuvenate his interest in
DXing at
his fantastic ocean beach location in Seaside, OR.

To give an indication of the incredible propagation during the recent
DXpedition in Lincoln City, I have uploaded the first of about 35 MP3's
of South
Pacific DX recorded last week. This link is for a bizarre snarl of two
S9+
stations mixing on 738 kHz-- Radio Tahiti (in French) and 2NR in
Grafton,
Australia, maxing out the PL-380's S/N reading at 25 (with an RSSI of
55).
This reception was obtained on the new 7.5" plug-in loopstick PL-380,
inductively coupled to a 3' portable PVC tuned passive loop. The amazing
signal
of these two DU's mixing together was also easily heard on a barefoot
Sony
SRF-T615, the first time I have ever heard two DU's fight it out on a
barefoot Ultralight! __http://www.mediafire.com/?eea954j14dmzalm__
(http://www.mediafire.com/?eea954j14dmzalm_)
(_http://www.mediafire.com/?eea954j14dmzalm_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?eea954j14dmzalm) )