Re: Number of daytime stations

pianoplayer88key

So they are actual coverage maps, not just FCC pattern data? Does it show field strength contours in mV/m, uV/m, or dBuV? Also do the contours go out far enough to include the once-in-a-lifetime skip when using a good receiver with a beverage antenna in the middle of nowhere, or far enough to get the fringe (S1 MINUS 20dB, for example) groundwave signals using the same receiver setup? Are they more accurate than the radio-locator maps? Also what about how adjacent-channel interference or receiver overload affects weaker signals? Could the maps be used to estimate the sensitivity of one's receiver?

As an example, would it be possible to upload a pic of one pattern? I'm thinking of maybe buying it, and hope it's more informative than the radio-locator maps. I can often hear stations outside their predicted daytime range, and on the other hand may want to find out the field strength of a 50kW directional station 1/3 mile from my grandparents' house.

--- In ultralightdx@..., Rick Robinson <w4dst@...> wrote:

An excellent reference for an MW DXer is the NRC "AM Station Antenna
Pattern Book". It has a map for every frequency showing the day time
and night time pattern for every US and Canadian AM station. This is a
great tool when doing a daytime band scan and also for planning night
time DXing of particular areas. The late John Bryant wrote a paper
regarding the use of this book entitled "Using the NRC Pattern Book as a
serious DX Tool." A PDF version of this paper is in the Files section
of this list under "DXing Techniques". The Pattern Book is available
from Universal Radio for $21.95 and from the NRC and IRCA bookstores at
a discount to members of either organization. Although it was printed
in 2006, the information is still very useful since patterns rarely
change, only stations going "dark" would be the biggest difference in
the last 4 years.

Rick W4DST