Re: Number of daytime stations

terribly wet

Secret ?

BTW I have figured out how to view coverage maps on
radio-locator that is not affected by the daily use limit they normally enforce for users that don't pay.)

What do they use ? Math ? FCC Data..power...antenna efficiency ?

That does not indicate if the station has reduced itself to a wet noodle as a radiating antenna ?

WELI 960 looks like it has a CB antenna on top of one tower. Affect pattern ? (probably not)

--- In ultralightdx@..., "osage_archer" <timchandler2001@...> wrote:

Well, no matter what radio locator says, I know what I can hear, and identify. I don't count just a higher level of static as a station received. I have a number of radios that receive AM but the Tecsun PL-380 is what I was referring to. In any case it gets about all the stations I can hear on any of my radios. And when I look at radio locator it says 55 stations but that's both AM and FM.

The number of distinct, separate AM stations listed for Memphis using my zip code, 38112, is 25. But of those listed at least 5 can't be heard normally during the day, not at my house, at least. And at night you cannot receive stations on every available channel, either, far from it.

I'm sure radio locator is useful but I would not regard it as an authority on what can and can't be heard, and I personally would not use it to predict what one can and can't hear from, oh, Portland, ME, Omaha, NE or any other place unless I'd actually tried from there.

Tim C.

-- In ultralightdx@..., "Stephen" <pianoplayer88key@> wrote:

Well... I maybe didn't mention that some of them, even WITH the Select-A-Tenna, would have RST (amateur radio term) reports of 111, or SINPO reports of 11111, give or take - basically the weakest signal possible for which it was still possible to tell that there WAS a signal there. As a side note on the RST... It is also possible that I don't correctly interpret them. For example, a S1 mean faint signal barely perceptible, a S4 means fair signal, a S7 means strong signal, a S9 means extremely strong signal. I had always thought a S4 was about the threshold for a radio to light a tuning indicator or stop when scanning, a S7 has no background static at all, and a S9 is almost overloading the radio (for example, splattering loudly several channels each way on a radio with poor selectivity like the Sony SRF-M37W, or having a 50dBu noise floor over a portion of the band on a DSP-based radio). However, it turns out that there are sometimes reports of S9+60dB, and it almost seems that even that isn't a full noise-free signal, possibly. Under what I had thought the scale was, you couldn't even get a S9+60dB signal, even if your radio's antenna input was directly connected to the antenna output of a 50kW transmitter, with no more than a few tenths of a millimeter of lead wire, if that, in between the connectors.
It's even possible that a few of the stations I counted were so weak that I couldn't even get intelligible station audio (and I don't just mean I couldn't make out any speech, they were so weak that I couldn't even tell if they were speech, music, morse code, etc), but I could tell something was there cause the sound changed when I was off frequency / on a blank channel, or when I rotated the radio to null the station. In the cases where the stations were too weak to hear any audio and ID, I guessed what stations they were based on the direction, a search of the FCC database, and a look at the potential stations' coverage maps on radio-locator.com. (BTW I have figured out how to view coverage maps on radio-locator that is not affected by the daily use limit they normally enforce for users that don't pay.)

Doing a search on radio-locator for AM stations in Memphis, TN, reveals "44 stations that may be barely perceptible". I'm sure reception of even more stations would be possible as well, even outside their predicted coverage areas. For example, from near La Mesa / El Cajon, CA, I can hear KIXW-960 Apple Valley, CA, on my stock PL-380 (although it is very weak - not as much so as the marginal signals I was describing above, but it does have intelligible audio), even though I'm about 30-35% OUTSIDE radio-locator's predicted fringe distance. Also, with the Select-A-Tenna and carefully nulling a 77.5kW semi-local on 690 (that is at least 63dBu on my stock PL-380) about 30-35 miles south/southwest, I have, on a couple occasions, picked up KALL-700 from North Salt Lake City, even though I'm twice as far outside radio-locator's predicted coverage for that station.

My guess is either you're using a very unsensitive radio, or you're not counting the weak signals for which the audio is barely intelligible, or you can barely detect a trace of a carrier, but no intelligible audio at all. Which is it? ;)

If I carefully listened at night, I probably could get to 300 fairly quickly. Stations are receivable here on every single channel from 530 to 1700, and many of them have 2 or 3 or more, especially the graveyard channels.
Speaking of graveyard channels, what's your best catch ever? I have an idea of what I would nominate as my own best catch.... I have a local station on 1240, one of the graveyard channels, that is west of me. I'm close enough to it that I don't hear the typical graveyard rumble on that station. (Typical reading on my PL-380 is about 54-55dBu or so.) A couple years or so ago, I actually logged Radio Disney on 1240 in Albuquerque, NM (not with the PL-380, though), while the local 1240 (probably KSON at the time, now KNSN) was actually ON THE AIR! (The local one was broadcasting an unmodulated carrier at the time, which is probably what enabled me to receive the other station.)
Now... what I think could possibly beat that... is if Gary DeBock could receive a station near me on 1450 - KFSD Escondido, CA, out from under his local KSUH-1450, which he said in another post was either 87 or 89dBu on his 7.5" loopstick PL-380. :)

--- In ultralightdx@..., "osage_archer" <timchandler2001@> wrote:

LOL here in Memphis I can get fewer than 20 daytime stations! It took me several months to get to over 100 AM stations...

Tim C.

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Stephen" <pianoplayer88key@> wrote:
...However, on a good day I can log at least 100 stations on AM around noon (and sometimes 2 on the same frequency in a few cases)...