Re: Expand the Ultralight Awards Program to Include LW-DX?

MarkWA1ION

The European longwave stations are audible pretty much anytime when I listen right after sunset from out at the Granite Pier DXpedition site in Rockport, MA. Of course they are somewhat weaker and definitely more static-plagued this time of year versus October / November.

UK on 198 and Ireland on 252 are about the only European broadcasters in English. Others that are in German, French, Arabic, and other languages can sometimes run in parallel to medium wave and shortwave outlets. This simplifies identification. It should be noted that some of the frequencies have more than one possible station but seldom are there multiple stations with the same language, so ID'ing is straightforward if you can recognize the language or find parallels.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION

--- In ultralightdx@..., Bill M <radioexray@...> wrote:

farmerik wrote:
I guess it's the wrong time of year, but I am on the east coast [CT],
and experimenting with new antennas. Are there any LW BC stations
using English I should look for this time of year? - FARMERIK
Only if you are very lucky. LW BC has 'band openings' just like the
higher frequencies but they are scarce this time of year. They are
still infrequent during the winter, you just have to keep slogging away
at it checking nightly or checking the reflector groups that might alert
you to activity.

Don't let English language be a criteria. BBC on 198 is pretty much the
only thing you'll hear in English. French dominates, even from the
North African stations since they are serving the French listening
market. Its not like the AM-BC in the US where you have to sort out
'which' station. The super-power West European and North Africans have
the frequencies all to themselves. Basically, if you hear it you'll
know what station it is.

GL,
Bill