Expand the Ultralight Awards Program to Include LW-DX?

Gary DeBock

Hello All,

As most of you are aware, the Ultralight Awards Program was originally set up by John, Rob and me (in early 2008) to provide incentives for DXers to accept the challenge of Ultralight MW-DXing, and has proven to be one of the most popular attractions of our Ultralightdx Yahoo Group. Although we were all saddened by the sudden loss of John, Rob and I have been honored to continue the program, and have recently agreed to expand the incentive program to offer new Award Certificates for FM-DXing on approved Ultralight Radios (as soon as we can both find the spare time to discuss and organize the new program).

Since there is general agreement that offering Ultralight FM-DXing awards is a good idea, it would be interesting to hear your comments regarding the possibility of additionally expanding the program to include LW-DXing on approved Ultralight radios. As most of you know, this would not have been practical two years ago, since there weren't any commonly available ULR's that had LW coverage. The situation has changed greatly with the introduction of the Tecsun Si4734-chip DSP radios like the PL-300WT, PL-310, PL-380 and PL-360, however. All of these units offer LW coverage, with the new PL-360 the first to offer full coverage from 150-530 kHz. LW-DXing on Ultralights will probably become increasing popular as new loopsticks and external loops are developed to enhance LW reception, the first of which are already providing great boosts in the Tecsun radios' LW sensitivity. The upcoming fall LW season looks like a thriller!

Your comments regarding the possibility of LW-DXing awards and the type of awards desired (countries, TA/TP, NDB states, provinces, etc.) will be greatly appreciated. With input from all interested DXers, the program (if adopted) can provide a new way to enjoy exciting DX on Ultralight Radios.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)