Re: recommend good AM radio + mp3 player combo?

jlochey <john.lochey@...>

Yeah, pretty massive for the shirt pocket! : )

You sound like me, always wanting something that no one has made yet!

I feel your pain...

John

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Stephen" <pianoplayer88key@...> wrote:

Unfortunately, that one is much too big... unless you've found a way to fit it in your shirt pocket. :) I'm looking for something pocket sized and preferably not too far above $100 (although I think maybe $200 might be ok if it's a very good radio/mp3 player).

So is there an "all-in-one" mp3 player / radio that would do both those functions well AND fit in a shirt pocket (or at least a pants pocket), for under $100-150 (maybe $200 if it's exceptionally good - does everything the ipod touch does (except the GUI) and more, and is more sensitive and selective than the 7.5" loopstick PL-380, for example)? (I don't think I've mentioned it yet, but as far as I know he (my uncle) probably woudn't care about album art, so a color graphical display wouldn't be necessary.) Or, should I recommend two separate things - an AM radio and a MP3 player? If I go that route, the mp3 player would need good enough shielding so it doesn't interfere with the AM radio, even when both devices are simultaneously in the same shirt pocket.

--- In ultralightdx@..., "jlochey" <john.lochey@> wrote:

I know this doesn't meet all of your specs, but I really like my Sangean PR-D8. It records perfectly to an SD card automatically. I found it to be quite sensitive and easy to use. Got it on Amazon for about $110.

Your mileage may vary! ; )

John

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Stephen" <pianoplayer88key@> wrote:

My uncle is looking for something like in the title for his birthday coming up the end of this month. I've heard there's a Degen radio (DE1123 or DE1125, I forget) that has the Si4734 chip in it, but he also wants something with fairly high capacity. If that one doesn't accept SDHC cards (I'm going to look after I post this) or have at least 16GB or 32GB memory built in, is there another recommended one that has Si4734-like selectivity (but without the elevated RSSI near strong signals that my PL-380 is plagued with - btw he lives about 10-12 mi or so NW of me), good capacity (preferably at least 8GB with a SDHC slot, or 16GB if it has no slot), and a good antenna (but not a slider, as it would be too big)?

I just looked at a few google links for the DE1123 and DE1125, and while I still can't tell if it has an SD card, there are some things I already don't like about it. Could someone recommend another one? The only other one I'm aware of is something like Radio YourWay, or something that CCrane company sells, and while I can't remember accurately, I (think) my aunt (his wife) told me he knew of that model but there was something he didn't like about it, but I forget.

Any recommendations? While he didn't specify, I would prefer to keep the price and size (including any external AM antenna, although I would prefer it be internal) limits within ultralight specifications, even if there are other reasons the radio doesn't qualify as an ultralight.