Re: recommend good AM radio + mp3 player combo?

Gary Kinsman

Hi guys,

I own a CC Witness. It definitely isn't a DSP radio, and its AM performance is inferior to that of other ultralights like the DT-400W and PL-380.

I bought the CCW mainly because of the timer recording capability, not for the reception. However, it works fine with my Terk loop to record local AM stations. Without the loop, the recording circuitry can generate quite a bit of noise. The loop provides sufficient signal to overcome most of this noise. Bit rates above 64 Kbps can cause hets on some AM stations. Since 64 Kbps is sufficient for recording talk radio, this doesn't bother me too much.

The CCW takes SD cards up to 2 GB and SDHC cards up to 16 GB.

I have used the line-in recording capability with my Sony 7600GR, CCRadio-SW and Grundig Sat 800. All of these radios have line out jacks. I generally record line in at 256 Kbps, since there is no het issue with this type of recording.

With the 7600GR and CCR-SW, it's necessary to use a headphone attenuator cable to get distortion-free recordings, since the CC Witness has no recording level control.

With the Sat 800 things are a bit more complicated, as it seems to have a very high line out level. Using sufficient attenuation to prevent the CCW from distorting results in the Sat 800 line out itself distorting, because it can't drive the attenuated load. To get around this, I use a so-called "line driver" amplifier (normally used in car stereos) set on 0 dB gain between the Sat 800 and the attenuator cable. The line driver has no trouble driving the attenuated load.

As an MP3 player, the CCW sounds pretty good, but it's no Ipod. There is no ID3 tag sorting or playlist support, and no color display for album art.

Here are a couple of reviews:

http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/c-crane-witness-am/4505-6490_7-33351260.html

http://theradiokitchen.net/how-to-gather-sound-from-the-sky-from-almost-anywhere/

Here is some more info:

http://www.ccwitness.com/

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-radios/cc-witness.aspx

Stephen - It sounds like you want an MP3 recorder with an AM radio equal to that in the better ultralights, and including DSP filtering. I don't think such a device exists.

The CCW does what I need it to do, and I'm happy that I bought it.

Regards,
Gary

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, Mark Roberts <markrobt@...> wrote:

The DE1123 does not accept any kind of external memory, and its
recording is at low quality. I wouldn't recommend it as a recorder.
It's OK for FM; the AM seems insensitive and the audio bandwidth is
a measly 2 kHz.

I believe the CCrane AM radio and recorder is called the Witness. I
don't think it's a DSP radio.