Re: Puyallup, WA TP's for 9-30- Sony SRF-S84 Saves the Day

satya@...

Way to go, Gary - you've reached yet another milestone by coaxing the S84
into receiving a TP! What other feats of magic are up your sleeve?

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

Good Morning,

It was quite obvious at first check (1315) that last night's great
TA
conditions had somehow fizzled out, at least at this modest DX location.
The
powerhouses and a few other seasonal powers had good audio, but there
were
only anemic carriers on the other frequencies I was chasing (945,1035,
1143,
etc.), so I decided to try for a new kind of thrill.

JOAK-594 was booming in at 1349, so I grabbed the smallest
Ultralight
on the planet, the 1.19" loopstick Sony SRF-S84 (1.4 ounces). The radio
practically looks like an attachment to the headphone plug. Anyway, after
some
serious tuning and nulling of CKBD-600, I had a decent heterodyne on the
ultra-tiny radio, and proceeded to wait for the TP signal to come up. It
finally
did! JOAK-594 was received at my very modest, salt-water free location
on the
smallest Ultralight on the planet. What a thrill!

Which points out the biggest advantage of Ultralight DXing-- you can
choose your own challenge level, from the "full pachage" modified E100
(with
performance exceeding that of a stock ICF-2010 or E1) down to the
microscopic
SRF-S84, which forces you to use all your DXing skill for the strongest
of
TP's. What a great new way to enjoy a great hobby!

73, Gary

challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips
and